Motion activated switches

Can I connect other devices to a motion activated light switch?

I am working with a group of youngsters who are trying to create a "soundscape" performance in a complex of buildings. We want a CD player to activate when someone enters a room. My though was to buy a £13 motion activated light switch byt wire it up to a CD player instead.

Will it work?

Reply to
John

Hi You could do that but most work at mains voltage,somewhat dangerous when youngsters are involved. A simpler idea may be to use a common intruder alarm Passive Infra-red detector,these are readily available (about £10) and work at 12v DC. They have a set of contacts capable of carrying around 300ma which should be adequate to control the "pause" function of your CD player. There are many types of motion sensors on the market ranging from Point to Point devices (like the movie laser beams :-) ) through ultrasonic Doppler shift devices onto infra-red and microwave.Many are employed in access control & intruder systems so scope is vast. IMO I always found simplicity to be the best solution so if you want to activate music when someone enters a room why not fit a reed door contact to the entrance door (£1.50) wired to the pause switch of the player ;or if not possible to a relay which controls power to the player which is left turned on. IGWS that only low voltages should be used or if mains needed all circuits are wired by a competent person.

No doubt others on group will have different ideas but i hope this helps.

CJ "John" wrote in message news:- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
cj

It might. It'll depend on the type of switch: Some will only drive resistive loads (incandescent bulbs) but others will drive inductive loads such as you'd have whenever a transformer and/or motor is involved. Trial and error, I guess.

Be careful with the Mains around kids of course!

Twayne (across the pond in 120Vac land)

Reply to
Twayne