Motion-activated deer repellants

I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in years past, I suspect because of the severe drought.

Does anyone have experience with either a motion-activated hi-frequency sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or a motion-activated sprinkler, such as the Scarecrow?

Here are links to the products I'm looking at --

YardGard Animal Repeller

for any input, Dee

Reply to
Dee

Have you tried a motion-activated water sprinkler? They make quite a ruckus and spray a stream of water.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The OP already mentioned the motion-activated sprinkler (Scarecrow).

The problem with sprinklers is that a pressurized water source is needed nearby... for many situations that is impractical. Also those things are very expensive and for most instances multiple units are necessary. But the biggest downfall is they don't work in freezing conditions and during winter is when deer do the most damage.

I've tried everything (liquid repellants are expensive, they're a waste of money, and effort), nothing works like a fence. All my flower beds, perennial gardens, vegetable garden, and small trees are fenced. Wire fencing is inexpensive, inconspicuous, very long lasting, easily installed and relocated as needed, and no special tools or expertise is required... and there's no maintenance. I use galvanized turkey wire with driven steel posts... for young trees chicken wire is plenty adequate. I've found that a 4' height is enough for relatively small areas such as foundation plantings (deer won't jump into small enclosed spaces). For larger areas such as vegetable gardens a 5' height works fine. Since using this type of fencing for the past four years I've had not even one instance of deer entering a fenced area.

Fencing a small tree (sycamore), leave space at bottom for mowing/ weeding:

foundation plantings is simple enough to make one section removable for access:

Sheldon

I personally would NOT recommend the sonic devices, they didn't do squat for my issues - my issues were stray cats. I opted for the sonic devices over the scarecrow for fear of dowsing my neighbor's kids. If you can have a ready source of water and aren't worried about hitting people walking by I'd go for the Scarecrow.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Somehow I missed that. I read "a motion-activated hi-frequency sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or the Scarecrow?"

I have a Scarecrow, and it works great against rabbits. The deer seldom make it this far into town, and when they do that have to cross a lot of fences to get to my place.

I need to make chicken wire cages around the bases of some of my small trees and bushes this fall. The rabbits or squirrels chewed a few down to the ground last winter. Luckily they came back, but I lost a year of growth.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Were people walking by she'd not have a deer problem.

Reply to
Sheldon

the "scarecrow" does work for a while. but I would get the green 4' fencing with wider spaces and lay that down around the beds (easy for people to walk over) even grass grows thru it. deer dont like to walk on things that come up around their feet, but if they do and the water cannon goes off, then the startled response will be enforced by the fence "grabbing" at their feet.

my MIL lived >I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my

Reply to
dr-solo

That doesn't necessarily follow, but I just offered a suggestion you don't have to like it.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I've heard of "Deer Scram," bars of Irish Spring, fox/human urine but doubt the effectiveness of these. I use an electric fence, plant deer-resistant flowers, and use cages and netting.

Reply to
Phisherman

A neighbor who builds industrial controls had a deer problem. He connected up some sensors that triggered air horn blasts. He has not problems any more. It only to a short time for the deer to catch on. It also works for geese, and small animals. He has an extensive network of sensors.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

No neighbors either. LOL

Reply to
Sheldon

He has neighbors and lives on a hill over a valley near a church. It works so well that it doesn't have to work very often. He uses very short bursts that scare animals and geese.

A guy in NJ used blank shot gun shells to protect his orchard from birds. That did bring the community down on him. It wasn't against the law when he did it, but it was very soon.

Reply to
Stephen Henning