Motion-activated sprinkler pest chasers

I see ads on Amazon for sprinklers which turn on briefly under control of a motion sensor, intended to deter animals (deer, raccoons, cats and especially dogs) from entering lawns and gardens.
The idea seems good, but I wonder how well (if at all) they work for things like squirrels.
Anybody got tails to tell?
8-)
Thanks for reading,
bob prohaska
On 3/7/2017 8:56 AM, bob prohaska wrote:

I know of a public garden that tried this at a koi pond to keep herons and ducks away. The herons were eating young koi, and the ducks were fouling the water. It did not work.
For squirrels that were killing two white mulberry trees in the same garden -- eating the new shoots before the trees could get any leaves -- aluminum bands were wrapped around the trunks. Initially, the bands were about 18 inches high; but the squirrels learned that a running leap would allow them to clear the bands. When second 18-inch bands were added to slightly overlap the first bands, success was achieved. I plan to try this with my peach and loquat trees this year. I will wait until about 2-3 weeks before the fruit is ripe.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/

How trapwise are fox (same as eastern red) squirrels? I've had pretty good luck catching roof rats using a Raticator electronic rat trap, which is fairly unobtrusive. I think it would likely kill a squirrel _if_ it could be induced to enter the trap.
The landscaping around here is essentially an urban forest, so climbing barriers on tree trunks won't have much effect; the squirrels can jump from tree to tree (to building to fence....) easily. Thanks for reading,
bob prohaska

Squirrels are easy to trap using a Havahart trap. You simply spread a thin layer of peanut butter on a piece of aluminum foil.
The problem is there will be too many to trap. If you reduce the population in the immediate area, others will move into the territory.

Ok, sounds like trapping is possible. Whether it's worthwhile is another issue...
Thanks for replying,
bob prohaska
bob prohaska wrote:

I medicate them with lead pills at 800 FPS +- ...
--
Snag

Bob,
Did you get a sprinkler? Would be interested to know how good they are
I see your issue, personally I like to net off areas but it isn't always applicable
--
ZacSpade

Haven't done anything yet. I'm no longer optimistic about a sprinkler and don't have any other ideas.......
bob prohaska