Cat used our vegetable garden as a litterbox.

A few months ago, we were told to clear several newly planted containers (the long rectangular plastic ones) off our balcony as part of preparing for the entire building to get repainted. We put them in the backyard, which is shared by the downstairs units, and when we retrieved them three weeks later discovered that the neighbors' indoor/outdoor cat had left solid presents in one of the pots. It might have peed in there too, I don't know - we're in San Francisco and soil tends to dry out fast.
Only one thing (I think it's a carrot) ever sprouted in that pot (we aren't the most attentive gardeners anyway), but is the soil still safe for growing edible things? Leaf vegetables only? Fruiting vegetables only?
--
liezljayne

On 2017-03-15 11:43:10 +0000, liezljayne said:

I would not have a problem with eating any kind of edible plants grown in that soil. I am a veterinarian.
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:43:10 +0100, liezljayne wrote:

Toxoplasmosis (sp?) is one thing to be concerned about, primarily for pregnant women. There may be other diseases that can affect people and frequently carried by cats. I'd definitely be scrupulous about cleaning what you harvest.
{My outside garden is used by lots of neighborhood cats}
Frank Miles;1024334 Wrote: > On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:43:10 +0100, liezljayne wrote:

> containers

> preparing

> had

> too,

> safe

I'd say just clean your veggies carefully and if no pregnant women eats them you should be fine!
--
sophiebi