Motherboard /processor upgrade ?

On 19/12/2012 11:25, Huge wrote:

Problem is, even the big "reputable" players do it... download flash or Reader from adobe - get McAfee bundled with it etc, and don't get me started on sodding browser "toolbars"!

Its not really an OS specific issue though - just a marketing one. If they same players were promoting the same apps on Linux, you can bet the same dodgy cross promotion deals would get done.
Apple are as bad... "Oh there is a new version of quicktime - shall I install it for you?" (with the gimmy iTunes, and safari boxes also ready ticked!)
--
Cheers,

John.

Sorry, I was referring to the CCCleaner stuff. And the pain of migrating to knew hardware.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 61st day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3178
Don't do business with Churchill Insurance - they're slime.

"Knew"??? Fuckwit.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 61st day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3178
Don't do business with Churchill Insurance - they're slime.
[snip]

IAWTP!
--
<•DarWin><|
_/ _/
On 19/12/2012 13:23, John Rumm wrote:

I've discovered Ninite (google it)
Its so flipping handy and a real time saver when building a up a new PC.
It presents a list of applications such as Java, Shockwave, Adobe Acrobat, Flashplayer, Thunderbird, Firefox, GIMP, AVG etc etc. You simply tick the items you want and Ninite website will build a custom executable installer and you download it.
Simply click on the downloaded file and it will download and install all your wanted software without all the extra rubbish like ask toolbar, Google Chrome, Ask Jeeves etc. It "knows" where to get all the required files from.
Its a real time saver and you can use it across several machines.
Its now the third thing I run after installing a new OS. (the second being an AV and firewall product).
Seriously, its one of the best utilities I have seen..... :-)
Stephen.
On 19/12/2012 22:46, Stephen H wrote:

Thanks for that, it looks like it could be handy.

In a similar way, have a look at nlite - its a very handy tool for integrating service packs, hot fixes and tailoring windows components and reducing them all down to a single bootable image. If you need to rebuild a bunch of machines, it can get them from nothing to fully patched and ready to go in practically one hit.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Dec 19, 10:46pm, Stephen H wrote:

so a bit like yast or synaptic ;-)
Owain
On 20/12/12 12:27, Owain wrote:

:-)
I was about to say that for some values of similarity of hardware all you need to do to clone a linux machine is to copy the entire primary disk partition with DD, put the disk in the new machine and boot. DHCP sorts out its IP address and all you probably need to do is set up a user, and that's it, done.
And in the case of corporations running a proper Unix style network, even that's not necessary, as all the 'home' data is held on a server.

--
Ineptocracy

On 18/12/12 20:46, robgraham wrote:

The problem I have had in the past is that old cases don't fit new motherboards, and cases are in any case cheap.
So I generally ask the question of my PC builder, and if the answer is 'it wont fit' get a new case.
The RAM doesn't fit either, and in fact usually the only components that are reusable are the disk and CDROM drive, and if its that old, generally I don't want the disk anyway.
So unless you can simply replace the CPU Id say replace the whole machine.
Its less expensive than you think. A CPU/board/RAM/Case/Disk/GPU setup is generally sub £250 where I buy. I buy what's cheap and as fast as the money will afford.
(http://www.woc.co.uk )
--
Ineptocracy

Many thanks guys - I think by the time Dell got to this design of machine, they had moved away from their dedicated components philosophy - it is a standard board for the period in this machine, with standard RAM and PSU. And again there's no BIOS/OS interlink here and the HD is SATA.
However the points that you are making are all very valid and I thank you all for going through the 'Disadvantages'.
So <Advantages -> Low Cost Possibly retain all applications Retain XP (for the moment)
<Disadvantages - > MB form factor RAM incompatability PSU ditto (chickened out of typing that twice!) Hassle factor getting it all to work
and so on for the other ones I can't remember, but that's enough to convince me, though I will lose the fun of doing an Ebay search, bid, etc., and I'll need to set aside some more pennies.
Again many thanks
Rob

I think with olde stuff and machines if you've upped the RAM as much as you can and have removed all the slowing down junk then you're done all you reasonably can...

WOC are good if you live near them and are going by there to pick stuff up, but online suppliers provided you are ordering sufficient to get free on inc carriage can be cheaper..
--
Tony Sayer

On 20/12/12 11:59, tony sayer wrote:

and less reliable.
Every time we bought a NON WOC 'cheaper than WOC' computer it turned out to be faulty, and we had to spend man hours trying to get out money back, and in one case we never did.
Phil was always 15% more than the cheapest. Phil has never once failed to get a dysfunctional machine working, or replace faulty parts under warranty. That is a small price to pay.
--
Ineptocracy

What your saying that a hard disk in a sealed pack is less reliable?.
An LCD screen in the same makers box is less reliable?.
A CPU in an Intel sealed box is less reliable.

Yes I do know the firm I go there *sometimes for odd bits like when we need anything in a hurry, but otherwise online from a variety of suppliers.
If they sodded us about like any supplier without good reason then we simply do not go back there!.
It strikes me that these days how easy it is to set up and get going a modern machine!....
* Like PC Wurld is the need is sufficiently pressing;!..
--
Tony Sayer

On 20/12/12 13:33, tony sayer wrote:

No what I am saying that the packs and the brands were always those that Phil got the least returns on. He got his fingers burned in the Solidisk days.

But it isn't in the same makers box largely. Its a different brand, or a factory second or a reject.,

It is if you fit it yourself. The WOC guys insert em with antistatic hooked up..and they ALWAYS get the pins straight.
I cant be arsed 'building' computers when for that extra 15% it gets built for me and if its a flop its not my problem.

IF the hardware plays nice, yes. Again been there done that. The graphics card worked fine. The serial parallel port worked fine. The two together in the same motherboard randomly crashed.
I dont need that shit.
Last time I went there to build a server I insisted on loading up Linux. It failed to connect to the Ethernet. Their MB had faulty Ethernet hardware. Changed it in the spot. NO sending back. No 'you must have broken it..there will be a refund fee to cover shipping..we will fix it and send it back' (and the same board comes back again and again unfixed until you give up) - and that WAS brand new in the makers ( Intel) carton.

I needed an NVidia graphics card for this Linux (Nvidia have the best Linux drivers). I walked into PC world and said 'which are the cards with Nvidia chipsets' and will they fit my case?
No one had a clue. I phoned WOC, who looked up the machine I had, got the correct Nvidia card in. took payment on the phone and a friend picked it up on his way past..
--
Ineptocracy

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 17:02:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Didn't you once say yu helped a friend set up WOC?
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 20/12/12 20:22, Bob Eager wrote:

I helped by buying a lot of stuff - I only occasionally worked with Phil on some major installations.
I was never a shareholder partner or employee. But we are sort of still casual occasional friends.
I admire what he built.

--
Ineptocracy

Well he must have been dealing with some dodgy outfits;!..

Nope NP. All the screens, hard drives and network switches and other IT gear we've had thru here for a long time now have been in manufactures sealed boxes. The only ex dem bit of gear we had was a 1 KVA APC ups which was 50 quid rather then 350 sheets . Mind you it still cooked batts like only they can;(..

Nope .. we fit them and have done so for a long time and we don't go to excessive lengths with antistatic, just normal conductive boxes to store semi devices when required and ally foil to wrap them in sometimes and no problems with pin alignment either;!..

Well I can understand that but sometimes we need them a bit different to just normal desktop machines..

Well that sort of thing sometimes happens but I really can't say we've had any duff equipment for a very long time now..

Well what do U expect;!..

Your lucky they were plain out of stock for some things we needed there the other week but generally there very good;!...
And about the only good one left in the area. Which isn't surprising and I doubt they make anything to speak of selling machines, but I do expect they do make money selling their know how;)...
--
Tony Sayer

On 20/12/2012 13:33, tony sayer wrote:

Depends on how it has been handled. I have used suppliers in the past that supplied new disks in a jiffy bag! (as opposed to the proper shock protecting padded drive boxes)

Unlikely
If its been installed in an Asrock motherboard rather than the Asus one you might have specced yourself, then yes.
Build quality also varies - one that has been sensibly put together with all lose cables neatly bundled and tied down will likely arrive with them all still connected even after the courier has used the box for a game who can drop kick the furthest, whereas one that is an internal birds nest might not.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:09:12 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

a.k.a. CPC - who leave them loose in a big box with a load of other stuff - well, quite often anyway.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 20/12/2012 22:21, Bob Eager wrote:

I think an outfit called A2Z was the worst I found - literally posting in a jiffy bag with no other protection. At least with CPC you get a box - just remember not to order a club hammer in the same order ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.