food processor replacement parts?

Hi, we have a John Lewis branded food processor who's lid unfortunately got dropped and a plastic bit broke off.

John Lewis no longer sell the branded processor but gave us the number of the original manufaturer ( Cuisineart) . On ringing them they say that the processor is manufactured in the Far East and shipped directly to John Lewis and therefore they dont have spares.

Sadly the little plastic thing is the only thing that's broken but vitally it's part of the power safety gubbins whereby as it's missing the power doesn't switch on to the unit.

Apart from this the motor and containers and blades are fine. It just seems such a waste to bin the lot becasue of a small plastic albeit vital bit that's broken off.

So.... anyone know any suppliers that might hold this sort of thing? - any ideas?

Many Thanks Chris

Reply to
chris

had a talk about this at the weekend. Get an all metal unit, even if it means a second-hand kenwood chef off ebay.

Nothing made of brittle plastic lasts in a kitchen that is actually USED.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could you glue the broken bit back on? Or fabricate another piece?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Try eBay. Or this place (in the US, but shipping costs will be less than a new machine!)

Reply to
S Viemeister

We've got this Hinari (?) blender that cost a fiver from Netto a few years ago (the only time I've ever been in the place). Our Kenwood one had packed up and I thought that was over rated. That has a plastic mechanical linkage inside the handle that enables a switch in the base to only let the motor power up when the lid is on correctly. It stumped me when I just placed the lid on top without twisting it. There I was, checking the 3A fuse. When (not if) that linkage breaks before the rest of it, I will open it up and bypass the safety switch. Just have to remember to keep my hands out of it before I turn it on ;-)

Reply to
Part timer

Agreed. One our last one, it was the plastic base of the removeable jug, containing the bearings for the shaft/blades, which cracked. Utter POS, really. Replacement is all metal (and with a glass jug rather than plastic).

As a plus, it means I have a motor with reasonable power/size ratio and speed control now sitting around in the junk box - I've not thought of a creative use for it yet... :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes, because I'm sure people are forever putting their extremities in blenders and then turning them on and saying "oops" :-) Sounds very much like a "safety feature" just for the sake of it to me...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I used one of those as a convenient payload to stress test the wings on a large model aeroplane. Just the right weight really. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not deliberately, no. But it stops people doing things like trying to free jammed blade whilst it is turned on. . Or trying to sue it with the lid off. and then putting fingers in too far by mistake.

Less likely with a blender - ours doesn't have such an interlock, but more of a possibility with our food processor which does.

I once managed to stick my finger in the end of a stick blender and then turn it on for some reason..

Reply to
chris French

We've got this Hinari (?) blender that cost a fiver from Netto a few years ago (the only time I've ever been in the place). Our Kenwood one had packed up and I thought that was over rated. That has a plastic mechanical linkage inside the handle that enables a switch in the base to only let the motor power up when the lid is on correctly. It stumped me when I just placed the lid on top without twisting it. There I was, checking the 3A fuse. When (not if) that linkage breaks before the rest of it, I will open it up and bypass the safety switch. Just have to remember to keep my hands out of it before I turn it on ;-)

They generally only need a similar dodge to the old golf tee in the earth technique for using 2 pin plugs in 3 pin sockets. Less fixable was a plastic grinder attachment which was soon shattered to pieces - an earlier model with a glass grinder attachment simply rolled onto the floor so that wasn't any good either. Bought a separate grinder in the end: wonderful device!

On Hinari: When our Phillips kettle element went, and a new element alone would have been around £40, we just happened across a Hinari kettle, that actually looked better and was more powerful, in Matalan for a mere £8. It is a marvel, and boils water extremely quickly too. One slight niggle - that probably applies to many modern kettles - is that the sight level tube, has rather fragile seals top and bottom. The bottom one started leaking a while back, but it was easy to get at, and swap it with the top one. I have noticed it has started to weep again lately though, so it looks like I need to hunt for some more robust grommets or similar. However if other Hinari stuff is as well made as our kettle I would have no hesitation in buying more.

Spamlet

It's not just for saving your fingers: it's also for stopping you turning the machine on before you've put the top on. This can be very messy if you are the sort of person who does not turn things off at the plug, or control knob between uses - or indeed someone who last time turned it off at the plug without turning it down at the control knob. The interlock goes up through the handle of the attachment, and is worked by both the lid and the base operating together, so, once you bypass it you have to be doubly careful.

Spamlet

4490 UK results in .22 seconds

|countryGB&cr=countryUK|countryGB&sa=X&ei=yIlpTP2LKNS7jAerquQk&ved=0CBMQpwU

Reply to
Spamlet

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules Richardson saying something like:

You'd be surprised. This really belongs in the DIY Disaster thread, but ...

As a lad I was keen on doing things in the kitchen, including messing around with the new Kenwood Chef. I was using it one day and noticed the mixture had a tendency to ride up the mixing blades, so took a kitchen knife and scraped it down the blades to shove the mixture down. The blades caught the knife, snapped it and launched it by my ear'ole to proing stuck in the kitchen door. Oops. The mixer only had seven blades after that, not eight.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Doh! I suppose you didn't end up dead, though. I suppose I wish that safety features that are irritating were optional extras for the basic model, rather than built-in. Worried about sticking your hand in the blender when it's on? Buy the safety cut-off switch for an extra 30 quid.

I don't doubt that it happens (as evidenced by your tale), but overall it seems such a low risk that I'd rather take my chances and not have some extra doohickey on the device that might end up breaking a little way down the line.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

|countryGB&cr=countryUK|countryGB&sa=X&ei=yIlpTP2LKNS7jAerquQk&ved=0CBMQpwU>>

Thanks for the replies - in the end used a kebab stick and some adhesive to do a repair - not sure how many weeks this will hold for but I'll just keep repeating the process ... will try to find a metal replacement for the kebab stick to make it more robust

Reply to
chris

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules Richardson saying something like:

The same kitchen saw the Ginger Beer Episode...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon