Stinky food processor

We have a cheapo food processor bought in Lidl. Only sees very occasional light use for the odd task that is just a lot easier with a processor. What bothers me a bit is the stink of ozone from it every time I use it. It really is very marked.

Is this likely to indicate a fault? I opened it up today and watched it running (but without any load) and there was minimal arcing at the brushes. It?s not easy to add any load to it whilst the motor is hanging out so I don?t know whether it would arc more then.

Should I worry or just accept that it?s a side effect of being a cheapo model?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have a B&D cordless drill that does that noticeably. Its predecessor Argo s Super Butch[1] didn't.

Owain

[1] Can't remember what the pseudo-brand actually was, but you get the pict ure.
Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Or a bad design.

I opened it up today and watched it

None of my cheaper models have done that.

Reply to
Andew Jones

The Ozone smell is caused by electric sparks, usually from the brushes of the motor. Brand new brushes will spark until they "bed in". If it still sparks more than minimally after they've bedded in, the armatur e is faulty. If so, use it 'til it fails & then junk it.

Reply to
harry

MY paper shredder, Argos/Bush smells like this and has been soldiering on for many years. I would say though that any radio withing a few yards of a mains cable is impossible to listen to. It surely must end in worn brushes or comutator after some time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I remember the old Tellies that used to smell like this and crackle on a damp morning. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some people say a snubber network inside can help, but I have my doubts. if the design is crap and made to self destruct, then that is the way it is. I'm assuming the motor is mains operated and not one of those low voltage ones with a wall wart? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh yeah I'd forgotten, the HT used to fizzle quite alarmingly sometimes.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That would have been my second suggestion, after checking the brushes and commutator were clean and smooth and properly tensioned. ISTR it's just a capacitor and a diode that's needed, but I'm hazy on that.

Reply to
Rob Morley