Infrared socket controller thing interprets one button press on remote as two!

I've got one of those devices - not sure what they'd be called - but it's a socket with a short lead on that has on the end of it an infrared sensor. The idea is that you plug various appliances into the device (via a 4 way a daptor in my case) and turn them all off and on in one go via a button on y our remote that you've set up with the device.

It's a handy way of turning your stuff off and on if you can't easily get t o the socket's switch(es)

Anyway, I've got my Humax and TV/amp/speakers set up with the above device   - everything is connected to the device APART FROM the Humax which I want to get power all the time.

What SHOULD happen is that I press the On button on the Humax remote and th at wakes up the Humax and it turns on the fancy device above which sends po wer to everything else.

PROBLEM: the infrared device seems to often interpret one press of the remo te's button as more than one press, so it goes on then off again very quick ly. Because the Humax is on by now you can then get a situation where anoth er press turns all of the rest on successfully but turns the Humax off!!

So I have to get up (how awful!!) and fire the remote while shielding the s ensor of the device that's already on!!!

So ultimately I guess the question is how do I stop this thing interpreting one press as two!!

Reply to
Murmansk

Have you got a neurological disease?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No, thank you.

Have you, or is yours more of a personality disorder?

Reply to
Murmansk

On 19:20 9 Oct 2018, Murmansk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Perhaps you sent two sets of the Humax "power on/off" command when you set it up and that is what it's now replaying.

Reply to
Pamela

Yes I have got a neurological disease, and it was first discovered when I thought that the remote was reading my one press as two. In fact I was making a very rapid second press, without knowing. The disease hasn't got much worse in four years. It comes and goes in fact and most of the time I'm not aware of it. When it's bad it's a bit of a nuisance though, for instance when eating peas I have to use a spoon; sometimes it's a problem holding a full glass of beer; and I can't take long-focal-length pictures without a support for the camera.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It could be that the remote is on the way out though. The fact that the Humax works is not to guarantee of the goodness of the remote. I have a little light detector here and some remotes are pretty poor contacts on oft used buttons, yet often the device its meant for copes up to a point. It could be that the switch is not so forgiving and there is the problem. It probably should have some kind of delay so once its switched you have to have no signal for a couple of seconds before it registers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No Bill has Mast Head syndrome.

Brian