More Lidl goodies

Next Monday, Lidl have cordless circular saw, jigsaw and hammer drill on offer using 18v Li-ion batteries. The batteries are the same on all. Same price for each - 39.99. The jigsaw is a pendulum type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave. For my own benefit: what's the big deal on "pendulum type"? Sounds interesting (though I don't use my current jigsaw much at the mo.)

John

Reply to
Another John

A *pendulum type* is actually a reciprocating action, which helps saw quicker and easier.

Reply to
Bod

Blade swings back on the downstroke, helps to clear sawdust?

Reply to
newshound

I've always thought a cordless circular saw could be useful and at 40 squid that looks like a snip if it works (would it should, presumably). I notice they don't mention the capacity of the battery, which doesn't look physically very large.

Reply to
GMM

Handy for getting an 8x4 sheet in the car. I've done that by hand at B&Q before now

Reply to
stuart noble

That's impressive! I would have put good money on it not being man enough to take off a car roof.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

:-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Bought a B&Q cordless saw sometime back. Weedy thing.

Reply to
fred

Just the sort of application I had in mind: It doesn't have to be great, just easier than doing in by hand.

Reply to
GMM

I'm thinking the one I might buy is the jigsaw. Only really use my circular saw for making perfect cuts in a sheet of whatever, and setting that up takes more time than plugging it in. But my jigsaw does get used for quick small jobs. Wonder if it has tool free blade change?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It says it has a quick release chuck, which sort of imlie it does, without actually saying....

Reply to
GMM

and many years ago i bought a small battery circular saw from Aldi, thought it'd be ideal for quick cutting jobs as the 5 inch or so blade would be easier than the mains saw i had with a 10 inch blade and much bulkier frame, but in reality the battery hardly ever made it to the end of a 4 foot sheet before dying, it was an 18 volt nicad, something silly like 1.2 AH. in the end i ripped the batteries out and connected some cable to the terminals in the now empty battery pack, and put some croc clamps on the other end, it'd work fine on 12 volts so was still usefull for cutting sheets down to fit in the car with it now powered by the car's battery,

and when i wanted more power, 2 car batteries in series to give 24 volts got it really going,

But these saws in lidl have li-ion batteries i believe, so will be miles better, but depending on the battery capacity it may now struggle to reach the end of the 8 foot side of a sheet or ply.

Reply to
Gazz

I bought Lidl's 18v Ni-Cad circular saw years ago. The tool itself seemed well made but the battery was pants. It was huffing and puffing to cut an

8'x4' hardboard sheet in half the short way. I ebayed it and got most if no t all of my money back.

A while later, Focus had some special purchase deal on an 18v saw/drill twi n pack. The price was so cheap it was worth having for the drill alone. B ut it turned out the saw was an order of magnitude better than the Lidl one . It was branded DPTools but Screwfix had the same saw at a higher price u nder one of their long forgotten band names and, IIRC, it was sold in the U S under the "Robust" brand. No replacement for a mains saw but good for th e odd emergency cut in Wickes carpark or lifting a T&G floorboard.

If anyone buys the new Lidl Li-ion one, please let us know how it performs as I think that old Ni-Cad saw was the only Lidl tool I've bought that wasn 't much cop.

Reply to
mike

Wish I could comment but tonight I went to two Lidls and both had sold out of the circular saw, although they had the drill and the jigsaw in abundance, albeit with some of the boxes opened and the batteries missing

Reply to
GMM

My local one had a pile of circular saws and another of jigsaws, but nary a single drill.

Reply to
polygonum

Presumably as the buyer didn't ask for his money back, assuming you didn't describe it as a pile of junk in your listing, he must have worked out how to charge the battery. Or the blade.

michael adams

michael adams

Plenty of all at Clapham Junction this morning.

Bought the jigsaw. It's a 1500mA.hr battery - don't think it said so in the blurb. Quick play says it's nice. Easy tool free blade change. Decent bright LED to light the cut - very useful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)