More government stupidity.

Hangover from a bygone era.....

Hmm... must try that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I didn't think that you thought that intelligent design was a good thing ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

[snip]

I think the big difference here is that the the issue of the tax disk is serving two purposes, firstly the extraction of money from us vehicle owners and secondly keeping tabs on who owns what so that PC plod knows who to call on after the vehicle has been seen doing naughty things. While our government would be delighted to extract the money without any action on our part they need us to jump through a set of hoops to confirm that we posses the vehicle and have complied with some of their other rules too. The insurance company on the other hand will be happy to take your money - if you no longer need the policy then it's your problem, not theirs.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

And as such like any good selfish meme serves only to perpetuate itself. All other functions are entirely incidental to propagation.

Yep, hard to argue with that.

Reply to
Dave Lloyd

How is the 15th of the month until the end of the month a ten day window? How difficult is it for people to get to a PO within a 15 day period?

At last. Ultimately. Yes indeed, but ultimately is not today, and it is here and now that is under discussion. There are a lot of things that will not be here ultimately. Take the private car, for example. Do away with it, and you can close POs at the same time. Listen to the howling and gnashing of teeth, though, as all the selfish people of the country try to argue that they need a car, they are a special case, they cannot survive without a car. Tosh.

Reply to
Graeme

Very much so, but I think you'll find that a huge number of sub postmasters are working a 'second career' and rubbing their hands with glee, at the thought of substantial pay offs when their particular office is closed.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Adrian writes

Au contraire! You are perfectly welcome to drink wine in my PO - as long as you share :-)

Reply to
Graeme

No doubt you are the type of brain dead imbecile who shouts and screams whenever he cannot get his own way. What you are far too stupid to realise is that the PO is doing civilisation a favour by keeping the dregs of society off the roads.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , at 15:51:08 on Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Andy Hall remarked:

It does when enforcement continues to happen "on the streets".

Reply to
Roland Perry

Because post offices are normally open on Monday to Friday and on Saturday mornings. During a 15 calendar day period there can be three Sundays and two Saturday afternoons, thus taking 4 days out.

If somebody is traveling or on vacation, it's easily possible to be away for that time.

I'll settle for the government being out of the service delivery business.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I hope that they are. Are the pay offs predetermined?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall ( snipped-for-privacy@hall.nospam) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You forgot Early Closing afternoons and Bank Holidays. Not, of course, to mention that many people don't have easy access to a PO during the working day - leaving them Saturday mornings as their only realistic access.

Reply to
Adrian

I thought that was McDonald's "restaurants" customer demographic.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is that when the guy with the bottle of Buckie calls you his beshtesht friend ever...?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, I'm grateful to the Post Office for keeping them behind the counter where they belong.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Agree with the first, although there is no need for a paper disc anymore.

I think that is what the vehicle registration is for, I can't see the tax disc helps here. If the vehicle is untaxed then they already know which ones and where to find them.

Same with a tax disc - you have to return it for a refund if you need one.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. I'd certainly keep the disk - and back it up with visible insurance and MOT disks, too, as has worked fine for the French for years.

Just make display of the sticker that's part of the current computerised MOT mandatory, and print it so the details are visible from outside.

Reply to
Adrian

And hand yet more power to some peaked cap jobsworth who will issue a fixed penalty notice "because he was unable to read it clearly"? (i.e. obscured by snow or illiteracy).

Reply to
John Rumm

That's an extremely inefficient way of doing enforcement in terms of ROI.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's an option, although I only need an overnight service with signature on delivery

Reply to
Andy Hall