More government stupidity.

In message , at 10:08:05 on Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Andy Hall remarked:

They are colour coded sufficiently that grossly out of date discs can be easily spotted from a distance.

Reply to
Roland Perry

When I used to get insurance certificates from a broker, they were "home printed" by them. How do the DVLA suppose you are going to differentiate between a cert printed on my Laserjet 2200DN and one printed on my brokers?

Reply to
John Rumm

Absolutely not, which is why I said that I am very happy to help anyone who is not quite clear on how to complete a form, which documents are required, etc. That, as I see it, is part of the role of the sub postmaster.

Yes, that I can believe.

Agreed - but such things are not within the power of the local PO. Yes, I'll bend over backwards to help anyone, with any type of transaction, but I cannot act outwith the rules, not because I'm a slavish follower of such things, but because I run the very real risk of having my contract terminated.

Reply to
Graeme

... and this happens how frequently?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah yes, the drooling retard counter clerk's favourite. One is expected to know that the piece of paper must have the word "certificate" printed on it. All else is irrelevant. One may well have a document which gives an insurers reference, details of cover, proof of payment and a full description of cover, limitations of cover and period of insurance but without that word "certificate" the droid behind the coutner will do nothing.

The last think they will think fo doing is explaining themselves. They will simply push the forms back and grunt.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Exactly, they make a big fuss yet I could knock out a convincing insurance certificate in ooohhh five minutes maximum.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, there's a 10 day window. Actually less where a post office is involved since it isn't open 24x7

If it were the only system available, then it would be worth doing something. As it is, it will die by natural market force.

But it's pointless. What value does the post office add?

Quite. Ultimately these will be replaced.

Except that I don't have to use the post office to tax my car.

I am down to only one transaction that I do at a post office and that is to send packs of documents to my accountant. As soon as I can find time to look for an alternative who will collect, then that will go as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why? The form is only complex to complete to the extent that it is made so by the DVLA.

The web site procedure is perfectly simple. Enter the renewal number and a credit card number and that's about it.

It's a pretty tenuous position, isn't it?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Quite. Paper for its own sake. With the online application, the issue doesn't arise.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Some local taxi firms will do parcel runs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think I've always just ticked a box on the form they sent me and returned it back to them via a post box, which in light of your experiences sounds a damn sight easier!

I seem to recall my folks having horrible troubles [1] a while back because the reference number required by the DVLA didn't match anything on the V11 - in the end it required talking to a human being at DVLA, who took the (much shorter) reference which *was* on the form, but didn't have any explanation for why the online / automated systems didn't tie up with their paper forms.

[1] OK, so that's a slight exaggeration. But you'd think that if any gov't entity is going to introduce public-driven procedures, then the data expected would at least match the data provided!
Reply to
Jules

The drooling retard is, of course, the sub human on the public side of the counter, who is perfectly capable of reading 'Certificate of Insurance' then produces something else. Said retard will then spend twenty minutes in the PO shouting and screaming because HE doesn't have to produce a certificate, HE knows he is insured, HE can do whatever he likes, HE does not have to obey the same laws as everyone else blah blah blah.

Reply to
Graeme

You tell me. I'll accept whatever looks like a Certificate.

Reply to
Graeme

John Rumm ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In the case of most of the insurance certificates I've got here, the watermark is a damn good clue - and is firmly pointed-to by the certificate stating in big letters that without the watermark it's not genuine...

OTOH, I taxed a car last night despite not having received the paperwork for the insurance (renewed last week) or the MOT it passed on Thursday. Very easy. Reg no, Doc ref off V5, debit card. Quicker than walking to the PO - who don't like you having a glass of wine whilst in the queue, either.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , at 12:33:13 on Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Andy Hall remarked:

I have no idea how often this visual clue is the trigger for a more exhaustive investigation. But it's undeniable that the clue is more obvious to an observer than the expiry date.

Reply to
Roland Perry

When the form has the number - I have yet to get one that does.

Reply to
John Rumm

The government, like the septics, can be "relied upon to get things right, after they have exhausted all other alternatives".

Its bureaucracy by natural selection, rather than intelligent design.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anyone who works for the Post Office. Now f*ck off back to poking keys with your headstick.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It remains pointless. The DVLA have records of cars and of when tax was last paid. That is sufficient for the purposes of collecting tax. It doesn't also need a piece of paper.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The first one that I had didn't. The last one did. If it hadn't I would have escalated a complaint.

Reply to
Andy Hall