More dimwitted antics

I had just a little bit of body filling to do, so I had a look in the box marked 'Fillers, car body'. There were four items. One said '£1/10', and the contents were rock solid. The second said '£2.25, Best before Dec 2005', and the contents were also rock solid. The third said, '£2.75, Best before March 2010', and the contents were a lump of hard stuff swimming in some sort of oily stuff. The last one didn't have a price but it said, 'Best before Aug 2013' and the contents were of the expected consistency. All of these items had a small tube labelled 'hardener' in the lid.

I chose the fourth tub of filler, mixed it, and applied it. An hour later it was just as soft as when I'd put it on; in fact it started to fall out of the hole. I then realised that I'd used the hardener from one of the older tubs of filler. I had to do the whole thing again.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

IME any peroxide catalyst works with any polyester resin. I always use use the oldest ones I have lying around

Reply to
stuart noble

You'd expect it would. But it didn't. The only thing was the nozzle of the one I used was smaller than the correct one. The instructions said 'use an inch of hardener per ounce of filler' so I would have used less hardener than I should have. But it didn't harden at all.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I never measure the hardener accurately-any amount will work providing it's evenly dispersed. But the dimwitted manufacturers who make the hardener the same colour as the resin have a lot to answer for

Reply to
stuart noble