Modern paint remover

I need to get some layers of oil-based gloss paint off some brass fittings. Last time I did something similar I used Nitromors. Is there something new/better on the market? They are not attached to anything so I can soak them in a container.

Reply to
Jim S

Any methylene chloride based paint stripper should do it, such as Wickes own brand (assuming the EU ban hasn't come in yet, since I last bought some).

It's nasty stuff though - read the warnings on the tin.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Caustic soda in a plastic bucket. Leave overnight. Doesn't attack solid brass, but I've never tried it with electro brassed (EB) fittings.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I did all the hardware for the doors and cupboards in an old house, by simmering the pieces in a pot of white vinegar. It softens even very thick layers of paint, and makes it easy to remove with toothpicks and old toothbrushes. Don't use an aluminium pan, though - use cheap stainless or enamel. It's healthier for you, easier on the budget than paint remover, and does at least as good a job.

Reply to
S Viemeister