MK Sentry CU

I have bought MK Sentry Consumer Unit. I notice that the markings on the plastic for the cable entry cutouts are all rectangular. Having made cut-outs is it usual to use any sort of grommet or is it sufficient to smooth the cut edges of the unit.
(There will also be "gaps" adjacent to cable at entry point - ie unlike cable in a closed/blind grommet - where it would be possible - if unlikely - to "poke" in to the unit)
--
Pete Ramm
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHISntlworld.com.INVALID

It depends which one you bought. Some of them have hole knockouts for 20, 25 and 32mm grommets.
For the one that you have, there should be some strips of nylon with castellations with it which you cut and place around the cut out section. You should use them and not allow the cables to come into direct contact with the cutouts.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

My recently installed Crabtree Starbreaker didn't have any grommet strip.
I removed all the 'square' knockouts on the back I'd need, and carefully cut a slightly undersized rectangle in the mounting board. I'd say this is thick enough not to possibly damage the sheaths.
--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:59:47 +0100, Peter Ramm
Thanks for responses. Interesting, the first CU I bought from Screwfix had to go back as the main power switch was cracked. Neither it nor the replacement had any of the strips provided. I'll get some bought and fitted.
--
Pete Ramm
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHISntlworld.com.INVALID

I've bought a few from there - all have been fine (apart from when they were out of stock for ages), but as you found - none had the grommet strips included.
Alex

I fitted a GE cU, it had know either for the square cutouts.
TBH, I'm not sure I see the likelihood of the cable being damaged on the plastic edge here as any greater than on a junction box, or plastic mounting box where.
I did think about getting some grommet strip, but I wanted to egt the box fitted, so it'll ahve to be retro-fitted.
--
Chris French, Leeds

I'd tend to agree. Grommets for metal boxes are perhaps a different matter, given the boxes are earthed, and cables might be squeezed into them. This shouldn't happen with a CU.
--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

I was a bit wary when I fitted an mk cu with no grommets - but I did all the cutouts before mounting it on the wall and used a small file to cleanup/smooth all the edges. The cables arent very tight fitting and arent going to move so they should be alright?
Peter Ramm wrote:

To satisfy the requirements for protection against direct contact, any enclosure containing live parts - which obviously includes a CU - must meet IP2x. This means that you must leave no openings through which a 12.5 mm dia. sphere could pass. [Reg. 412-03-01]
In addition any opening in the top surface of an enclosure, if readily accessible, should meet IP4x. This means having no openings which could pass a 1 mm dia. sphere and effectively forbids taking open T&E cables in through grommets in the top of the unit, if the top is readily accessible. [412-03-02]
--
Andy

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:40:32 +0100, Andy Wade

Do you really mean 1mm?
--
Pete Ramm
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHISntlworld.com.INVALID