Insulating roof - but problem with downlighters

Hi all
Planning to insulate a roof that partially covers the kitchen ceiling this weekend. Problem is I have several halogen downlighters that protrude into the roof space from the kitchen below. How can I lay insulation while protecting the lights - and of course, shielding the heat from them.
Any ideas....... or is there a product on the market made for this?
Thanks in advance
Simon

Down lighters are supposed to be in a box of their own strictly speaking to prevent fire spread but at the same time one has to allow for heat dissipation. As most down lighters will be installed between joists it would be a simple mater to put some plasterboard each side of the down lighters and place a piece of plaster board over the top. If enough free air space has been give around the light this way you can overlay with insulation.
It is a good idea if you install in a ceiling under a bedroom to build a box around down lighters not only does this satisfy fire regs, but most important for the occupant sleeping above the kitchen noises are reduced significantly.
MikeS
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:52:41 +0100, Simon Hawthorne

One solution is to put a terrocota flower pot over each downlighter.
Rick

MikeS

This topic has been done to death here many times - look at http://tinyurl.com/6nhxs or http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=downlighters+insulation&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Duk.d-i-y
David
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:49:30 GMT, "Lobster"
Oops - I can now see - I should not have been so lazy!!
Thanks for the tips - think I am going for the clay pots - just need to nip out and get some.
Regards
Simon

I was going to use that for mine, but it actually would have turned out quite expensive to buy enough pots of sufficient size.. in the end - as you may have now read from the archives(!) - I used lengths of plastic ventilation duct to create 'chimneys' through the Rockwool; much cheaper. (A side benefit was that it provides reasonable illumination to the loft space when I'm pratting about up there)
David