Attic ceiling insulation

I have a large, unfinished attice, with ceiling height of ~ 10 feet at the peak. Currently there is no insulation on the roof or side walls. In the summer it is extremely hot, refrigerator like during the Connecticut winters. I am sure the attic temps extremes adversely effect the temps in our living area, the first two floors.

I would like to add insulation, but unsure how to proceed. Do I add battt insulation; with or without a vapor barrier? Would it be prudent to also add add a radiant barrier. Can I apply sheet rock over the suggested insualtion, to have a "finished' room?

dave

BTW I am new to this site, after I saw a link on another site. I am sure impressed with the breadth of advise here - Great Find !!

Reply to
Dave C

Oh boy! .....this outta be good. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The absolute most important thing to do is ensure that there is insulation between the attic and your living space...VIZ: along the floor of the attic.

Other than that, there should be plenty of vents in the roof to allow heat to escape in the summer.

Reply to
philo

I'd been wondering what site is this? Moaners Hub, or the other one, can't think of the name of it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, tell us a bit. Are you reading this on a web page? Browser? please post a URL.

Maybe this helps:

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Attic ceiling insulation Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:31:35 -0500 From: Dave C Organization: Newsgroupdirect Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, How could you have a house like that? No local building code? Sounds like you are living in a hut. I think you are trolling!!!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The first thing that needs to be decided is if the attic is going to be finished and made into a living space. That determines where the insulation goes. Building codes also apply to any such conversion, if it's allowed, required means of egress, etc. Ten ft headroom at the peak isn't a lot. You have to figure out how much usable space you get before the headroom is gone, how low you can go by code, etc.

If it;s converted to living space, then the insulation goes between the roof rafters, with a vapor barrier on the side facing the living space, air baffles installed between the rafters, under the roof deck, before the insulation goes in to allow for airflow. Existing rafters may not allow for desired insulation and may have to be built out using strips to get increased depth.

If the attic is unfinished, then it's supposed to be cold in winter, hot in summer. The insulation goes on the attic bottom, between the ceiling joists. If you want to add more, that can be done via a variety of methods, including blowing in cellulose, which is probably the easiest. Radiant barrier could also be stapled to the rafters, how much that helps, is it worth it, questionable. Certainly plenty of insulation over the ceiling joists is more important. And proper ventilation of the attic, eg sufficient soffit vents combined with ridge venting, making sure insulation doesn't block the soffit vents, etc. is very important.

Reply to
trader4

I can't find a listing for Moaners Hub. It sounds like an interesting site that you seem to know something about. Can you provide a URL?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A house like what? One with no insulation in the attic areas under the roof and side walls? That's how houses with unfinished attics are built and it certainly conforms to code.

Reply to
trader4

Yep...totally standard.

Reply to
philo

You have two general options. One would be to just load up batts on the floor and make sure there is venting in the space. That's cheap and easy, saves on heating costs, but you lose use of the attic. You can alternatively insulate the walls and ceiling, then use the room for storage.

The better solution would be to insulate and finish it off. For that there are a couple of important points:

  • Make sure you don't have insulation in the floor.

  • Make sure there's a ridge vent in the roof and soffet vents, as well as space next to the roof. (One can buy cheap styrofoam panels to achive that, if desired.) The basic idea is that the wood in the roof needs venting so that moisture doesn't get trapped in there and rot it. A little research should make that all clear. The general design of a cathedral ceiling is that hot air rises out through the ridge vent, pulling fresh air in through the soffet vents, providing a flow between the roof structure and the back of the insulation.

Once you've taken care of the venting, insulate ceiling and walls, add a vapor barrier, and drywall it.

I'm assuming you don't have any horizontal bracing and that there are just low kneewalls on the sides. If there is bracing it needs to stay. Drywall around it.

If the sidewalls are low kneewalls, it might make sense to move in your finish walls and leave room in the eaves for storage.

And what about skylights? You probably want to add some window area and improve venting of the living space. That's something to plan before closing it up. (A note for maximizing skylight benefit: If you frame a 4" depth around the top and bottom of the skylight you can graduate that up to the 6" or 8" roof depth for a better look and more light. It's hard to explain. If you look at a typical skylight you'll see it's set deeply into the roof framing. The glass may be

8" or more from the ceiling plane. Imagine that inset as a cardboard box. What I'm suggesting is to "fold out the top and bottom flaps" of the box for a larger opening on the ceiling side.)

However you do it all, just remember that you want insulation behind the living space and free air flow behind that. Vapor barrier is certainly a good idea. It will help by retaining humidity in the winter. It will also be required by some codes. But don't use fiberglass with foil facing to get a barrier. Staple plastic around the entire interior for a good seal.

Another issue is building permits. Do you plan to get a permit? Is there a local building commision? In a typical old New England house there could be lots of issues that an inspector is not willing to grandfather in: Narrow stairway up to the attic, insufficient window surface, etc. Before you decide to get a permit, make sure there aren't any problems like that.

Reply to
Mayayana

Why is that better? Unless he needs the space and the space can be made into something really usefull, it's pointless.

For that there are a couple of important points:

There is insulation in the "floor" and I don't see any point in tearing it out.

Vapor barrier is universally required today in my experience.

But don't use fiberglass with

Reply to
trader4

It is also ok to insulate the rafters ***if the attic is to become full-time occupied space*** in addtion to the attic floor.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

If you plan to occupy the attic, that's a whole different situation.

Someone else here can undoubtedly give you an answer.

Reply to
philo

What the heck difference does it really make, Stormy??? You've got a real bee in your bonnet about how the usenet is accessed.

As for the OP's question - IF you insulate the roof and side walls of the attic, the vapor barrier goes on the "finished "side, and you need ventilation on the "unfinished" side. if you line it out to use as "conditioned space"

Otherwize, just make sure you have adequate insulation in the ceiling of the upper story, and good ventilation in the attic. With the roof shading the ceiling and protecting it from cold winds, and ventilated to let heat and humidity out, the ceiling insulation has a bit less work to do than the insulation in the roof would.

You COULD put radiant insulation on the bottom of the roof - it would give you SOME advantage.

The only reason I would insulate the roof of the attic is if I wanted to use it as "living space" - summer or winter. Otherwize I'd just frame out the attiic floor and add another 8 inches of insulation and lay down a plywood or chipboard floor if the area was to be used for storage. (make sure any rewiring that needs to be done from the attic is done FIRST!!!!!. - and seal the upper floor to prevent hot/moist air from escaping into the attic.

Reply to
clare

He might be, but my brother's 88 year old house (when he bought it) is as the OP described. There was NO insualtion in the house. There was no building code in effect when the house was built - and it was a "well built" house at the time. Double brick construction, with well over 10 feet fom the attic floor to the ridgepole, and a 12/12 pitch roof. He insulated the roof and attic walls and drywalled the whole attic, with a roughly 6 foot wide flat ceiling, crossventilated above that, and troughers run from the soffits up to the vented ridge. It's his wife's craft and sewing room and he has a drafting desk tucked into the other end. Don't know if he can get to it any more or not!!!

Reply to
clare

He wants to keep it to himself - because the full name is the ho moaners club and he wants to keep all the moaning loose women to himself

Reply to
clare

Actually that is not a problem. Insulation in floors between stories is not an issue - it is used for soundproofing. The only problem with insulation between the upstairs and the attic is it will be a bit harder to heat the attic...

Reply to
clare

Yeah...you don't want to DAGS for Moaners Hub looking for it...or maybe you do.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If it was the same episode I watched a few months ago, they found the remnants of a staircase, like maybe just the railing. They figured out that the staircase was (originally) very narrow, something like 16" wide and had a 180° turn in it.

Didn't they do kind of a holographic, computer simulated portrayal of what the staircase must have looked like back when it was in service?

Reply to
DerbyDad03