fitting flush mounted CU

Anyone have any experience of installing a flush mounted CU?

I am about to start the wiring on the renovation project and have gone for a flush mounted CU. The CU is in the downstairs cloaks and as it has to be at an easily accessible height (

Reply to
Martin Carroll

Or make the cable rear entry into the CU. Drill and cut, or use the rear knock-outs, where you want the cables to enter. You can then use the one block idea to fix the consumer unit.

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , BigWallop writes

That would mean getting cables into the cavity though!

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

Even if you push the cabling over, under, to the sides of the consumer unit, where the space is, in the surrounding blocks? How many fixings are holding the CU? One at either side, near the top, and two through the bottom into the blocks. You don't need any across the top. Leave the top as free space to accept you cabling.

Just another little thought.

Reply to
BigWallop

I may be missing something obvious, but why can't the cables run in vertical chases in the blockwork above and below the CU (using oval conduit or capping)? You'd be cutting away some of the blockwork above, but only relatively shallow chases. If it's to be plastered you can run on the surface under capping and only chase the last few inches in to the depth required to meet the knockouts.

Getting the tails in is usually more of a challenge since they won't be RCD protected and need to be more than 50 mm deep from the surface. There does seem to be some acceptance of running them in the cavity, but you do need to consider the thermal insulation derating.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Certainly a possibility I will explore.

I can probably run them into the back of the CU as the meter cupboard is directly opposite on the outside wall.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll