Missing channels

We have three Freeview tellies, all Sony's. I live within line-of-sight of the Sandy transmitter mast - I can see the lights on it from the garden. And yet, we regularly "lose" channels. The main TV lost Ch28 (E4) this afternoon, plus several others I didn't bother making a note of. A retune has brought them back. The PVR has also lost Ch28, so I assume it's them rather than me (I can't retune it until it has no pending recordings, so that'll get done tomorrow.)
However, the one in the bedroom (which faces Sandy), which is on a set-top aerial is being even weirder. I had the "missing channels" thing a couple of weeks ago, so I retuned it, and now Ch's 2,3,4,5 & 6 are missing completely. In analogue days the signal was so strong in this room we didn't need an aerial at all...
So, what's going on? And how do I get my missing channels back?
--
Today is Pungenday, the 40th day of Discord in the YOLD 3178
"If there is anyone here who I have not insulted, I beg his
On 23/04/2012 21:51, Huge wrote:

This is where the experts hang out

<snip>
As it is Freeview then uk.tech.digital-tv might just possibly be an even more apposite group.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Ta.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 40th day of Discord in the YOLD 3178
"If there is anyone here who I have not insulted, I beg his
On 23/04/2012 21:51, Huge wrote:

To answer this, see the thread I just cross posted from uk.tech.digital-tv
Note you are due another retune event on the 9th of next month.

You may need to wait for all the muxes to go to full power, failing that you need a better aerial for it.
--
Cheers,

John.

No signal all day at our house - but I borrowed a gizmo from our sparks, a DB-T signal meter made by SLX. This typically says we have 70dBuv, but the set-top box resolutely says "fuck that".
The chain is at present aerial cable -> set-top box -> scart -> 1994 Panny. Solution: new telly (most likely, haven't got it yet)
--
Tim

Right - new telly says plenty of signal strength (even tho the sparks gizmo says, today [1], 50dB rather than 70) but signal *quality* is crap and I'm getting BER of 10E-4 or 10E-5.
[1] Well it's effing windy so perhaps the aerial's being forced out of line.
--
Tim

Oh, great.
BTW, how does one get to find out about these events? Not so much for me, but it means we have to visit my 94 y/o MIL and retune hers, since she struggles to change channels, never mind retune the damn thing. She lives in N13, I assume that means her telly comes from Aly Pally.

I suspected as much. I suppose I'd better plumb it into the main aerial the other 2 TVs use. Means getting up in the loft. :o(
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 41st day of Discord in the YOLD 3178
"If there is anyone here who I have not insulted, I beg his
On 24/04/2012 15:35, Huge wrote:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk /
lets you enter a postcode and it will tell you when...

Quite likely. That also switched over recently. (Although I no longer use that Tx, the event was highlighted by the arrival of a former neighbour on the doorstep to tell me he has lost ITV. (which he had not actually lost, but it had moved to the BBC2 frequency)

Given your proximity to the Tx, as others have said, too much signal may be an issue with the TVs on the main aerial. For the portable - its anyone's guess.
--
Cheers,

John.

[tap, tap, tap]
Ahh, you need the "trade view", then it tells you about retuning events. A tad obscure ...

Tell me about it. Changing TVs is a very traumatic event for a confused 94 y/o.

Finger trouble.
:o)
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 41st day of Discord in the YOLD 3178
"If there is anyone here who I have not insulted, I beg his
Huge wrote:

I have a hotlink to this site
including my postcode
so it tells me as a 'professional aerial installer' what is going on.:-)
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker /
click on the "I am in the aerial installation trade " to get a proper run down of your local transmitters.
The bookmark your postcode specific limnk.

Right! Done that. Now what does it all mean?
Crystal Palace has 52 relay transmitters!
Currently my PVR is showing 3 duplicate channels and no apparent way to select the correct one:-(
regards

--
Tim Lamb

Yes a large area in all.
Some substantial, and others mere local "tiddlers".
Some like Hemel Hempstead are almost main stations in their own right with a power of 10 kW others like the one the BBC have at White city, just a few watts, hardly enough to light a torch bulb!..

Welcome to the wonderful world of "not planned as well as it might be" Digital TV;(...
You can, as Bill Wright will tell you, put an attenuator in line with the digibox and that will restrict it "seeing" the weaker ones, then once re tuned take it off again..
--
Tony Sayer

but enough to cover two roads ;-)
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Yes I venture to suggest to my knowledgeable friend that you could see a torch across Two roads;)...
Well sort of .. if the Suns not that bright which it won't be at the moment;(..
--
Tony Sayer

On 25/04/2012 08:16, tony sayer wrote:

Another crude solution if you know what range of channels you should be receiving, is to pull the aerial connection out of the box when its scanning areas you are not interested in...
--
Cheers,

John.

Ah! There's the rub! I don't actually know what range I should be receiving.
CP is 23-30 if I'm reading this correctly. The aerial certainly points towards London but the nearest relay at Welwyn is only 4 miles or so and Sandy lines up nicely with the back end.
As it is still piddling with rain I may well go and try a re-tune.
regards

--
Tim Lamb

Right.
Success!
Still got a couple of ITVs but managed to lose them from my favourites.
Ta.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

at oner time i kept em in case the main signals got swamped with over te horizon crud from holland
when over the horizon from sandy heath was better..

On 25/04/2012 15:39, Tim Lamb wrote:

In terms of which frequencies are used by which Tx, this is quite handy:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/reception_advice/dtt_pocket_guide_3_0.pdf
(not sure how up to date that is, since the ERPs look low for some that have completed DSO part 2)

Yup CP remains in group A post DSO.

Relays don't always carry all six muxes - some only do the three PSB ones.

--
Cheers,

John.