mispronounced DIY terminology

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ? Simon.
sm_jamieson wrote:

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company rep.
Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.
--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote:

Heighth.
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:57:08 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as "sills").
A bit like the use of "x off" (as in "oakwood cills 2 off") (or even "2 of", which I've seen recently), instead of "2 oakwood sills". I presume that that usage originated in the factories / smithies / joineries, where the tradesman was given an order for 'x' number of widgets off his lathe (or whatever), and that it spread from there to the warehouses. (or is it "off the shelf"? Nah - that wouldn't make sense.)
Sigh: You can tell it's pouring down outside, can't you :-)
John

A bit off topic- I used to be in fire protection. I had a sign written van. Two people walked past my van, one said to the other "Fire protection, how do you protect a fire"?
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 17:56:40 +0100, "Mr Pounder"

You allocate it a Fire guard of course.
G.Harman

Blast, all of those years and I was wasting my time.
On 26/08/2011 21:53, Mr Pounder wrote:

At primary school occasionally we had to go outside for something called a 'fire drill'.
I remember thinking 'Are they drilling holes somewhere to look for fire? Why can't I hear the noise of men working on that?'. Why are we outside? Is it dangerous to be inside while they are drilling?'
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

At primary school we had trousers made of cotton drill.
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 17:56:40 +0100, Mr Pounder wrote:

A reasonable comment/question. At w**k, many years ago, a rep. came in and asked if we were interested in fire protection. He just didn't get it when I said no, but if he had ways of destroying fires we'd like to know. Same with an 'explosion-proof' motor - I wanted one that wouldn't spark an explosion and didn't care what happened to the motor.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Do you really think so??
At w**k, many years ago, a rep. came in and asked if we were interested in

He should have clicked to that.
Same with an 'explosion-proof' motor - I wanted one that wouldn't spark an

I just assumed that it was one of those either/or alternatives such as jail/gaol
On checking, I see that it isn't
tim
Another John wrote:

It is. The original spelling is cill, but sill is an allowable excursion.

Certainly when I went on a narrow-boating holiday thirty years ago, the books referred to the stone ledge in the bottom of a lock as the cill.
I've also had a quick google and it appears that it may also these days be a building trade specific variant.
SteveW
On 26/08/2011 17:35, Another John wrote:

According to Collins Dictionary cill is a variant spelling used by the construction industry.

'x off' was traditional engineering practice (or should that be practise?) when I was a student apprentice back in the early 60s. I am sure there would have been a very good reason for it but all I can think of now is to avoid confusion say between twenty to and twenty two.

It wasn't here. :-)
--
Roger Chapman

Someone once explained to me that it derives from manufacturing something from a specification or drawing - "2 off (that drawing/ specification)".
But I've never been convinced. To me, it makes sense to ask for "2 of those widgets" or even "widgets, 2 of".
-- Halmyre
On Monday, August 29, 2011 8:40:00 AM UTC+1, Halmyre wrote:

I assumed it was like "2 off the production line". We have the verb "to print off" which could be similar. Also, gleaned from a web search, we have the expression "one-off" to mean something unique. Simon.
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 02:02:16 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

I've always thought of it in those terms, too - that or "2 off the inventory".
cheers
Jules

both are correct