Minimum stair to ceiling height?

Can anyone confirm what the required minimum height is between the stair nose and ceiling?

I'm replacing some stairs and where they turn you have the landing above you. I want to make sure the height clearance is adequate. One source tells me it's 6'6" but even they weren't 100% sure.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

2 metres

See:

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

The Building Regs have changed, there is no minimum ceiling height.

In my study (a loft conversion) there is 1.9 metres,, the Building Inspector confirmed that the requirement no longer exists.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

and it is the same in Scotland:

Bobby Bewl

not sure if it no longer exists but the toilet in our basement has only

5'8" headroom and was passed by the BCO
Reply to
in2minds

AIUI there is still a 2.0m height requirement on the staircase and its top and bottom landings, but not anywhere else upstairs.

Reply to
Ian White

....who, being 6ft tall then proceeded to take a leak round the back of the shed

Reply to
Matt

There is no minimum height for ceilings in rooms, but stairs are different.

There standard headroom is 2m. For loft conversions, this is reduced to

1.9m at the centre of the tread and can fall to as little as 1.8m at the edges of the tread.

I would suggest that either you misunderstood, or he was wrong. See section 1.10 of part K of the building regs.

Reply to
John Rumm

But there is on *Staircases*.

BTW the measurement is between a line along the centre of the noses of the treads to any point vertically above IIRC

Thats celing heifht in rooms. Not in straicases. Banging your head on the ceiling is not the same as falling down staris in today's britain.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My understanding is similar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

ISTR that there is some limited relaxation of this rule for loft conversions where it is difficult to comply with. It is some time since I looked it up and I can't remember the detail.

Reply to
Roger

That is right. If you can't meet the 2m requirement then you can go for

1.9m in the centre of the tread falling to 1.8m at the edges.
Reply to
John Rumm

Okay, cheers all. 200cm is the correct figure it appears. The original stairs had a 195cm clearance. Not sure if the regulations applied in the 70s but looking at the poor way these original stairs were installed/supported they could have got away with installing a bamboo ladder.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

Before Building Regulations went metric the requirement was for a mere

78 inches or 1981.2mm in new money. I don't know when the change occurred but it was certainly later than the early 70s.
Reply to
Roger