code question-tread to ceiling height

Can someone save me a trip to the library and answer a few code questions?

1) What is the minimum height from tread to ceiling for basement stairs? How and where is this measured? 2) What is the minimum height from finished floor to finished ceiling? 3) Is there a percentage of the ceiling that can be under this height for ducts, if so what percentage and how much lower? 4) What is the minumum distance a sub panel in a garage has to be from a natural gas (black pipe) line? 5) Is there anything about something in front of an egress window? Where I want to put the window there is ductwork on the ceiling, about 1.5' from the wall, hangine down about 6".

I know locals may vary, just looking for guidelines. Trying to see if I can finish off my basement or not. TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave

6'6" according to my most recent memory and book on the shelf.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Comments inserted. Be sure to check your local code, it probably will vary.

6'8". From nosing of stairs, to every point of the ceiling.
7'6". Though in my area, you can get a variance for a basement to a 7'0".

Check your code. My area allows you to box in duct work and pipes below minimums.

Can't help you.

Egress must meet certain guidlines. A minimum width of 20", a minimum height of 24", BUT, you must have a net free clear opening of 5.7 sq. ft. for a basement egress, so a 20"x24" egress would not meet code. A maximum sill height above floor of 44". This must be clear area, your ductwork would be in violation if it blocks any of the egress means. You may be able to alter the opening to maintain code, and not have the duct work blocking any area?

Reply to
Ned

Head for the library and go to p. 60 of the May issue of This Old House Magazine. Nice article on stairs and you need to get out of the house anyway, don't you?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

6'8" (80") although there might be an exception for a single-family house, and there *IS* an exception for spiral stairs, where the limit is 2" lower (6'6" or 78").

A. Plan Dimension. In Groups R-1 and R-2, when habitable spaces as defined in Chapter 2 of the Building Code are created in previously unoccupied space, other than a kitchen, they may not be less than 7 feet in any plan dimension.

B. Ceiling Height. (1) Requirement. In Groups R-1 and R-2, when habitable spaces as defined in Chapter 2 of the Building Code are created in previously unoccupied space, they shall have a ceiling height of not less than

7 feet. (2) Exceptions. The following are exceptions to the requirement of §B(1) of this regulation: (a) Beams, girders, ducts, or pipes spaced not less than 4 feet on center and projecting not more than 6 inches below the required ceiling height; and (b) Rooms with a sloped ceiling.

(3) For rooms with a sloped ceiling, the prescribed ceiling height is required for at least 35 square feet of the floor area of the room. Any portion of the room measuring less than 5 feet from the finished floor to the finished ceiling is not considered usable floor area and may not be included in any computation of the minimum usable floor area.

C. Floor Area. In Group R-2, when habitable spaces as defined in Chapter 2 of the Building Code are created in previously unoccupied space, other than a kitchen, they shall have a net floor area of not less than 70 square feet.

As long as it doesn't come below 78", you're fine. having it come lower than that is probably a technical violation, which you may or may not get called on.

I'd look at moving either the window or the duct, but how and where requires details.

Reply to
default

What's a "library"?

Reply to