Minimum kitchen volume req for open flame gas hob

I was under the impression that as long as a kitchen - regardless whether it has windows, or not - has a volume of at least 10 m^3, a gas (open flame) hob can be used there.

I was today given a different advice by a plumber friend (who is not corgi qualified BTW), who claimed that this was against the building regulations.

My kitchen is 10.3 m^3 (carefully planned to fit), has no windows at all (just a door into the hall), and I intend to install a gas hob there next week. I also intend to have a gas combi boiler there, fitted to an external wall, with the flue going through it to the outside.

Can anyone enlighten me as to my situation? Couldn't find anything online...

BTW, I am in Scotland if that makes a difference.

TIA.

Reply to
NotMe

Well you obviously didn't check the Font of All Wisdom, the uk.d-i-y FAQ, did you? :-)

the Gas fitting section: "...in the case of a gas hob the room in question must have a door, window or other vent that can be opened directly to outside air and the room must have a volume of at least 10 cubic metres"

...which I interpret to mean that your plumber's correct, don't you?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Presumably if you're fitting a balanced flue you could knock another decent size hole in the same wall to let some air in - and a cooker hood to let the stinky stuff out ?

I'm getting claustrophobia just thinking about it ;-)

========================

Reply to
brugnospamsia

That is the plan - the extractor is taking it out through a 4" hole.

Doesn't look very good otherwise - I probably misunderstood the regulations.

Luckily not too much trouble as I can easily change to electric hob, and wiring for it is already in place. Just prefer to cook on gas rather than electric.

Any way around this?

Reply to
NotMe

"NotMe" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I also intend to have a gas combi boiler there,

If you have an external wall can't you jst fit a vent - like the @kin great hole they knocked in me lynge when I had a back boiler fitted

mike

Reply to
mike ring

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:25:16 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named Lobster randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Diagram 3.3 of Approved Doc J (England & Wales only) refers to the permanently openable vents required in addition to those required for Part F (Ventilation). As noted in the (AD J) diagram, a kitchen can be vented with mechanical ventilation only. Make-up air would normally be provided by, say, a 10mm gap under the door.

So, the plumber, if he's English, is incorrect. However, things may be different if he's a Scottish plumber.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Spoke to the building control officer that deals with my case, and she informed me that as of 18 months ago they now approve of open-flame gas hobs in such kitchens, as long as there is a 4" openning to the outside with a mechanical fan (i.e. standard extractor) in the kitchen, and enough clearing under the door (say 1cm).

Looks like I managed to scrae it after all ... ;-)

BTW, this only apply to Glasgow.

Reply to
NotMe