Minimal cost/effort projector screen

The 5mm is certainly rigid enough to hang, and either can be stuck to the wall with no more nails type adhesive.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I think you're right. It would maybe have to be applied somehow off the wall.

Reply to
Richard Treen

I'm not sure about the three crt but I read that the bulb should last for 200 hours and replacements range from 18 quid (for just the bulb) to 146 (for bulb and holder).

Reply to
Richard Treen

Be careful. They are called Ultra High Pressure lamps, which is why they come complete in a housing to contain exploding bulbs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

brilliant white, they are darker than plain white. Brilliant has a very tiny bit of blue added.

A quick search shows glass beaded 100 inch diagonal roller-blind style screens available for about £100. Second-hand screens would presumably be a lot less. Could you not remove the screen from such an item and mount it on a board?

Reply to
Graham.

That's good advice. Are they explosive when they are cold, or just when they are hot?

Reply to
Richard Treen

Thanks, I'll have a look around for one of those.

Reply to
Richard Treen

UHP lamps are below atmospheric when cold, but handling them (e.g. any stress on the leads when cold) makes them liable to explode when running hot at around 3000 PSI. This is also why projectors avoid letting you run a lamp right to end-of-life failure, because failure would often be an explosion.

Note that HID car headlamps are different technology because of the 'instant on' requirement, and those are something like

60PSI even when cold.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel