Mice eating my dishwasher!

When I replaced our kitchen a couple of years ago, I spent a considerable amount of time and effort making sure the walls and floors behind the units were 100% rodent proof - or so I thought. (we live in a 150 year old house in the scottish countryside, so at this time of year we usually expect a few 'visitors'....)

Anyway, the dishwasher packed in a few weeks ago, and as it was still under waranty, on the order of SWMBO I 'called a man in' as you do. He told me then that a small mouse (apparently he could tell from the teethmarks) had chewed the hoses, and water had leaked into the base pan, causing a safety valve to cut in, which is what had caused the machine to stop working. He warned that unless we took action, we'd have the problem again, so traps and poison were laid, and the inevitable mouse bodies duly disposed of. However - they stopped appearing about a week or so ago, so we believed we'd overcome the problem, but last night the dishwasher stopped again, with the same symptoms as before....I realise that the possibility is that one of the mice had chewed a hose as it's main course before trying the fatal cheeseboard, but i'd like to be certain, so.....

This time, (assuming it's the same problem when I pull the damn d/w out to check) - I'd like to replace the hoses with somthing 'armoured' if possible - anyone know whether there's a supplier of such a thing, or is there something else I could use to wrap them in - that would act as a rodent deterrent? I'm also going to make some sort of solid 'cage' to fit around the d/w from floor to about 12 inch height, so that any future rodent explorer will have difficulty reaching the tasty plastic pipes!

Anyone got any other ideas? Ripping the kitchen out to find out where the little sods got in *isn't* an option I've been informed......

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Nicholson

Go to your local Chavtastic motor factors, and get some aeroquip style braid of the right diameter?

It's for show not go, but should be too much effort for most mice to bother chewing, IMO.

Reply to
Stuffed

I'm surprised at your problems, we certainly have mice around in our house sometimes as we're rural too but they don't seem in the slightest bit interested in eating the innards of the dishwasher or anything else similar.

I certainly made no attempt to make the underneath or rear of the kitchen units inaccessible to mice.

Our mice seem to prefer drawers with string, candles, bags, etc. or the area where the dog food, cat food and chicken food is kept.

Maybe you should have a more tempting area to attract them away from the dishwasher! :-)

Reply to
usenet

It could be the type of material the pipes are made of that attracts them. A caravan site I've been to has a big problem with squirrels chewing through rubber lpg pipes, you get back to the caravan and all your gas has escaped. They don't chew water pipes, brake pipes or anything else, just the gas pipes. Can you get the pipes for your dishwasher made from a different material?

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

perhaps it's just squirrel substance abuse, and they know which ones to chew through to get at the gas.....

Reply to
RichardS

I once came back from a 'holiday' on the NYMoors with adolescents (Spouse was in Germany) to find that the rising lead main ( i.e. below the stop tap) was spouting water. The main stop tap in the street wasn't easy to get to but I got a man to turn it off and we borrowed water until Spouse got back and repaired the pipe.

There were rat teeth marks round the hole. The cat had a field day ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I would be less certain of that. Armoured cable is not proof against a determined rodent.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"RichardS" wrote | "Andy R" wrote | > A caravan site I've been to has a big problem with squirrels | > chewing through rubber lpg pipes, you get back to the caravan | > and all your gas has escaped. | perhaps it's just squirrel substance abuse, and they know which | ones to chew through to get at the gas.....

Thank god squirrels don't smoke.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"nightjar .uk.com>"

I've always thought if you make things tricky for them, they'll move on to something easier.

So thepipe would be safe, but they'd probably chew through the fridge mains lead instead..

Reply to
Stuffed

On 14 Dec 2004, Owain wrote

Depends how well you set light to them, doesn't it?

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Did you find any pipes that are chew proof? I am looking for flexible metal pipe to cover the water lines. Tell everyone if you found a solution.

Reply to
rilan73dad

Posted 16 years ago - this could be a HoH record!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I don't think so. I'm sure I've seen some older than that. When you go on the site though you can clearly see the year. I guess people just do not notice. Most sensible forum sites would loc old threads that had not been posted to for a long time. Its an odd thing to post about anyway, as the answer was to actually deny access to the mice in the first place. I remember a rat getting into our TV back in the lat 50s... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes, or at least allow a post, but warn the poster that it is an old thread.

Very offensive way to refer to a TV engineer?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Nope. That?s not the reason.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No my dad was the engineer and while the back was off this rat ran in the back door and into the tv and hid. We turned it on but it did not seem to deter it in the slightest. Eventually we all hid in the front room and peered round the corner and it skulked out the waay it had come in, after leaving a calling card of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

OK, I 'll bite... what is the reason, just that there are none so blind as the sighted? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Well it?s a while since I?ve visited the actual site but until relatively recently, on the site they would ?promote? old posts as ?unanswered questions? purely to boost traffic through the site. These ?promoted posts? never had a visible date.

To be fair to you, I can?t see these now so maybe they?re not there all the time. The other thing that they do on the site is to have a large fixed advertising banner across the top of the page that obscures the tops of messages on the site. This banner isn?t there when you follow a link from here to the HOH site. This banner might well not interfere with your text to speech conversion but it?s a pain for sighted folk!

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) snipped-for-privacy@bluey> OK, I 'll bite... what is the reason, just that there are none so blind as

Reply to
Tim+

For 30 years mice and dishwasher have lived happily together. However latest diswaeher with modern corrugated waste pipe dies recently ordered a replacement and on removing dw noticed the drain pipe had been eaten along a 30cm section. Not sure why this is first Tim it has happened but drain is no where near as robust as the old rubber type?

Reply to
Peter mice hater

Mice have teeth that never stop growing. They need something to hone and sharpen then on.

PVC is perfect

Replacement hoses are no big expense, nor are mousetraps.

have my recommendation

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher