Meter maids.

Just had an email from Flipper reminding me to submit both meter readings by the 9th of next month.

It's obviously one of these incredibly difficult tasks which need plenty warnings so you can prepare properly for it. Buy the correct tools and protective clothing. Attend night classes to learn how.

I can understand companies trying to persuade you to pay a bill early, much as it annoys. But surely a meter reading should be as up to date as possible?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Energy prices are going up - possibly they want as early a reading as possible to get all your Christmas consumption charged at a new higher rate?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Never was the case for mechanical meters. I worked on a meter reading project for GEC around 1990, which read the existing mechanical meters. Their design life was 40 years, and they often got refurbed/recalibrated and used for even longer.

Something that delayed the introduction of electronic meters was that the industry was insisting on the same 40 year design life, and that simply wasn't possible for an electronic meter (there was no electronic display technolgy at the time which could get anywhere near 40 year lifetime).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If I've read the paperwork correctly (Flipper set up this deal for me) I'm on a fixed rate for a year. And not even 3 months into it.

Obviously, I want the monthly payment calculated as accurately as possible, and expect that to be trimmed when they get the second readings after changing to them - the first being at changeover time.

Being retired, my gas consumption isn't influenced by public holidays, etc. It may even be lower at Xmas since I've got a housefull. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Flipper is 25 quid a year! I am surprised that anyone pays when others pay you for using them. The very best deals can only be found by doing your own research.

Reply to
MrCheerful

This is the top recommendation story from their website, seems they rely on those too lazy to look and switch ...

"In a bid to bring down sky-high bills while expending minimal effort he joined Flipper after hearing about it on the radio. Since joining three months ago he has been ?flipped? from London Electricity and British Gas to a dual- fuel deal with Eon. This has chopped his bill in half, cutting £400 a month from a typical monthly bill of nearly £800."

His house may have 2x the bedrooms of mine, but his original bill was

16x mine.
Reply to
Andy Burns

But only if they save you at least 50 quid a year. So would do no harm to check.

They also check you're on the best deal 4 times a year once you've joined them.

Really? Maybe if you can research as well as a pro. Not everyone can - or can be bothered. If you use the comparison sites, they get a hidden commission if you change. Flipper can negotiate a better deal for you by not taking that commission.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are confident you've found the best possible deal yourself, would be interesting to see what Flipper said. They won't charge a penny if they can't save you at least 50 quid a year. But I do realise some may be wary about giving them their details.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I found that all the sites use confusing tactics to calculate your bill for the next year. The only way to compare different tariffs is to put in figures that actually apply to your usage. I use 12000kwh gas, and

12000kwh electric as calculation figures, plus the standing charges, add it up and take off any DD charge rebates to get comparable figures from the most likely contenders. At present the best deal for me is the BG collective fix till feb 2017 and the transfer site gave me thirty quid as well. For comparison: my charges: Electric:8.54p/kwh Gas:2.85p/kwh St.ch.£138/year for both £30 DD discount

There are some slightly cheaper gas deals around, but then the electric is vastly more.

Reply to
MrCheerful

There is no way I would give my credit card details to a site like that, and especially not to someone called Talal Fathallah in any circumstances.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'm on a fixed eon tariff until March that is no longer available, the cheapest alternative I can see out there at the moment is £43/year more than I'm paying. Unfortunately eon haven't played the customer-grabbing game for a while, so sticking with them would likely cost about £200/year extra, for that much I'd reluctantly lose the smart meter functionality.

Presumably against the EnergyCo's Ts&Cs anyway, but no I wouldn't like that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

MSE check more frequently than that and you get cash back if you switch on most tariffs. They also tell you about cheaper tariffs that they can't switch you on and hence get nothing. And they negotiate big switches where they persuade a supplier to offer a good deal when you switch, although they failed to get any good fixed term deals last month as a result of falling pounds and rising costs.

Sainsburys was cheapest last time even though its really BG.

Reply to
dennis

For second year and onwards, what do they base the savings against?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I didn't give them credit card details.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Up to you if you continue with them. Of course if you don't - and don't take over what they do for you youself, I've no doubt the deal you're on will cease to be the best value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is now a requirement to register on the site.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ok. However if you're worried about giving them your credit card details, they're definitely not for you. They can only do what they offer to do for you if you trust them. You have to give them your login details for your existing suppliers. And your bank details so they can set up your monthly standing order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same process here - and I ended up with BGAS via Sainsburys. Gas cheaper. elec more expensive which suits my usage.

Reply to
bert

Not so bothered about that...

Maybe...

Eh? You have to give them login rights for your bank account?

No Bloody Way.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

No. Just bank and account number. That's all they need to set up a direct debit. Same as any company.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)