Merging plaster & plasterboard ?

A large (130x40cm) section of plaster removed itself from the brickwork when I removed some wallpaper. I am going to replace it with plasterboard and was wondering the best way of joining the two sections. Will plasterboard joint tape do the trick ?

Cheers

Reply to
darkhorse31

Are you sure the rest isn't also about to fall off?

I suspect the hardest part will be getting the plasterboard surface level with the existing plaster.

You are unlikely to get a clean enough join to just tape across. If you are hoping to get away without reskiming the wall, you could try bonding coat to fill the crack to within a couple of millimetres of the final surface, and then use finishing coat or some other filler you are comfortable with to bring it to the final level and finish.

Of course, really you should replaster, but I assume you are trying to avoid that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You'll probably get a better result having a go at wet plastering it even as a first go. At only 40cm across, you should be able to get a flat surface because you can use a wide float to cover the entire width. I had a similar patching up to do (not as long, though) and it went surprisingly well.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle