Measuring pipe lengths for polyplumb

Hi,

Say I'm going to have three lengths of polyplumb pipe connected by two right angle pushfit joints.

How do I measure the correct lengths of pipe to allow for the amount of pipe that goes into the elbow?

Once the pipe is pushed into the elbow, can it rotate or do I have to get the turns right first time? One elbow will be in horizontal the other will be in the vertical.

I have bought the correct pipe cutting tool. Is there a knack to pushing the pipe into the connector (I know I need the internal support sleeve in the pipe) or do I just push the pipe in and it will go in "square"

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

If Polyplumb is like other makes of similar pipe which I have used, there should be marks on the pipe at approx 1" intervals which indicate how far the pipe goes into the fitting. So you cut it off level with one mark, and push in it until you can *just* see the next mark. If you need to cut it between marks to get the exact length you need, make another mark with a felt-tip pen the right distance from the end of the pipe to make it easy to check that you've pushed it right in.

You can usually rotate the pipe in the fitting if you need to.

Yes, you certainly need to put appropriate inserts into the ends of the pipe. If you line up the pipe with the fitting *reasonably* squarely it will go in easily enough.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's been a long while since I used any plastic pipe, but I thought the inserts were only required when mating to compression fittings. Are they needed to make standard joints to other plastic fttings ?

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Very much so. You might get away with it at low pressure but at high pressure the joint will either leak or blow off.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Polypipe certainly allows the plastic joints to rotate. I have used it many times.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Yes - you need to support the pipe - and make sure that it is round rather than oval - in the region of the grab ring and O-ring seal.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Oh, fair enough. To be honest, I use plastic as the exception rather than the rule and generally only use compression on them. I prefer copper, soldered or compression, if only because I have a load of fittings to suit.

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy