MDF Skirting

I need to fit some new MDF skirting since fitting a laminate floor. What is the neatest way of fixing it to the wall. (more than glue is needed to pull it in whare the walls bow in a bit).

John

Reply to
john

This has been covered before about skirting further down somewhere.

Not MDF mind, lets hope you don't have a flood. :-(

Reply to
ben

By the way how much is that MDF skirting a foot?

5" taurus wood skirting where i am is 55p a foot.
Reply to
ben

ben wrote: [snip]

Jesus! screwfix do it for £19.99, 2.5m

5" taurus same lenght would be £4.12
Reply to
ben

Can't remember what I paid but it was nothing like that price.

It has it's benefits, it's very stable and unlikely to warp, it's nicely finished and primed so finishing is quick.

Reply to
chris French

In message , john writes

Drill and screw or use frame fixings, fill (or plug) and sand.

Plenty of [previous threads on fixing skirting.

Reply to
chris French

Perhaps theirs is genuine bull-profile, which is very expensive to make.

I can't find their MDF skirting, but, to be fair to Screwfix (why?) they sell softwood torus for 56p/ft (pack of 4, 2400 x 119 x 15, cat no

91979)
Reply to
Autolycus

In message , chris French writes

I don't know about price but, if finished in white, it tends to *yellow* over time. We have re-painted since the original fitting and it now looks OK.

Fixing was cut nails into blockwork.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What's that, then?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Use a plug cutter and a counter bore bit.

(e.g. Axminster Power Tools 300532)

This will give you counterbored holes in the skirting which you can then use to attach it to the wall with wall plugs and screws.

You then use the plug cutter and a piece of scrap skirting board material to produce some plugs. These are fitted into the holes with dabs of glue and you can then sand off the surface when dry for an invisible result.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On MDF? I understand plugging on nice hardwood skirting, and even on softwood skirting, but would you really bother on MDF?

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks - will search for previous threads. The skirting I am using is Beech finished MDF to match the floor.

John

Reply to
john

Taurus

cf torus.

Knew I should have put a smiley.

Reply to
Autolycus

£40/45 to do a room, in MDF £20/25 in Taurus(wood) :-)
Reply to
ben

I would - I enjoy doing it.;-)

But filling a hole in something like MDF with any proprietary filler tends to show through the paint to some extent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the skirting he's talking about is "Standard Skirting and=20 Architrave 45 x 5.5mm x 2.5m", =A319.99 for a pack of 10.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, and make sure the screw slots are all lined up before putting the plugs in.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sure. I've done this for various forms of construction in MDF.

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK. You should find that if you are careful with the plug cutting that the veneer will remain stuck to the MDF. However, the fitting technique would be a little different.

After popping the plugs out of the piece of material used to make them, you will need to remove some of the MDF from the back as you can't sand the surface. You should then be able to push the plug into place flush with the surface using a block of wood and gently tapping with a hammer. Obviously practice a bit first and if there is a noticable grain, try to align the grains of the plug and the base material.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And greased for easy removal.....

Reply to