MDF skirting

Replacing wooden skirting in bedroom with MDF skirting. Never used MDF before so what would be best to fix it. Adhesive, nails, screws ?

My preferred would be screws in to the wall battens.

Reply to
ss

any of the above

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree with 'any of the above', but also agree screws into battens would be preferred, the only disadvantage of screws being later removal of the skirting, if necessary, as the screw heads will probably be buried and filled. I would use screws anyway.

Reply to
Graeme

Treat it exactly as you would real wood, as regards fixings.

My preferred method. Allows it to be removed/replaced at a later date if ever needed. Like for an extra socket, or laminate etc floor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any of the above usually. MDF tends to be sightly floppier than wood, so a bead of grab adhesive along the full length, and fix it on the high points[1]. Fill any gaps after.

[1] That way it won't "pull in" to any dips in the wall, and end up looking wonky.
Reply to
John Rumm

Gun Grade expanding foam.

Give the wall and back of skirting a quick misting with water from an atomiser or I suppose a wipe with a damp cloth, run a zig-zag bead of foam along the skirting, wait a few moments for it to stabilise (slightly expand) then press into place and put some weighted objects or concrete blocks etc at intervals to hold it in situ while it goes off. Way better than that "no-nails" Instant grab adhesive stuff that never works. It sets quickly and fills any gaps at the same time leaving no nail/screw holes to attempt to fill.

Having discovered this method very recently when skirting up the new extension rooms I'd not consider any other method again.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I was in a building the other day with Upvc skirting. Appears to be hollow when you tap it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Probably concealing pipes or wires ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It probably is. uPVC stuff comes in various sorts from hollow extrusions to foam filled extrusions.

The less filling the cheaper it is too make.

Reply to
dennis

As I am replacing my skirting I looked at upvc on ebay, my thoughts were knowing my luck it would over the years get dents and scratches which I wouldnt think is to DIY repairable and start to look messy so went for MDF instead.

Reply to
ss

As long as the screws are magnetic they easy to locate.

My walls were a little to curved for grab adhesive alone.

Reply to
Nick

Be sure to wear face mask when cutting. The glue in it is supposed to be pretty nasty.

Reply to
harry