MDF architrave

Anyone got this fitted?

Joiner forget to mention the fact that the architrave he's got is MDF(or, I forgot to specify soft wood).

Just how bad does it chip and dint, will I need to replace it in a couple years? Everytime I see it in B&Q it looks battered.

Reply to
hoicem

I have used MDF skirting in a conservatory and lounge and its fine. Its actually a lot harder then pine. Probably more stable in the long term too than softwood, has no knots and doesn't split. I would keep it.

Andy Dee

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@localhost.com" writes

I fitted some MDF skirting and Architrave in our old house. It seemed to hold up fine.

Reply to
chris French

The main danger is if it gets wet. It will swell and fall apart

Therefore it is unwise to use it in kitchens and bathrooms or perhaps anywhere with a stone floor

Reply to
Andy Hall

So would I

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Over the past few years I've fitted it in preference to timber in several rental properties (which you'd expect to take more knocks than the usual, particularly due to furniture frequently being moved in and out), and it's been fine.

Other advantage is that it (usually?) comes ready-primed, so you save time that way; and there are no knots and related flaws to deal with.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I tried mdf skirting for the first time a couple of months ago and I would not go back to pine joinery now. Not only are you saved the hassle of sanding and priming, but it is more flexible and doesn't warp before you fit it, so it's more likely to actually be the right shape to lie flat against your walls!

If you're worried like a previous poster about fitting in wet areas, then I would say an extra coat of paint or other sealant on all four edges before fitting would answer that problem.

Reply to
Inge Jones

I was sadly disappointed when my carpenter turned up with MDF for my new skirtings (I also failed to speficy wood, as I simply presumed it would be wood!) - I'm pleased with them now though - they look really neat (and were easy to paint). Two misgivings -

1) the top edge of one chipped quite easily when I was moving furniture (though the faces are fine). I think a wood one would just have dented a bit. 2) This is a Victorian house so any future owner who wishes to have exposed pine skirtings will have to replace them.
Reply to
Maria