Radiator shevles / cabinets

Hi all, Just before I decide to make one myself, does anyone know of a retailer, online or otherwise, that sells bl**dy huge radiator shelves or cabinets ? My living room radiator is a bit of a monster - 144mm deep * 850mm high *

1880mm wide (and then add the recommended 25mm) and I'm having trouble finding anything at diy.com or via google. It looks like the B&Q cabinets are almost big enough, but not quite. I'll be off to the shed this evening just in case they've got anything in store that will do the trick but I'm not too optimistic.

Cheers, Keith

Reply to
KD

B&Q do do ones quite large, some up to 2175mm long, more than big enough for what you require. Have a look here:

you find it isn't quite tall or deep enough a bit of time with some mdf should sort that out. I got one of the unfinished MDF Cabinets and after some careful painting it looks great in the hall.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

I've often thought about these, but wondered if they reduce the effectiveness of the radiator. Is there any difference?

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman

Yes, they will reduce heat output considerably. However, you may find the radiator already sufficiently overrated not to mind. If the radiator is already extremely effective in cold weather and the room heats up quickly, you'll probably get away with it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The one I have in the hall is about 1800mm long. The Radiator behind it is just 500mm long, I got the cover to hide not just the radiator but also hide the consumer unit and the wires for the phone and answer phone which sits of top. Handy shelf too for throwing keys and post on top.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

They do reduce the heat output considerably - I'm sure someone here produced some figures a while ago.

A radiator - despite its name - dispenses most of its heat by convection, which requires a decent natural air flow over it. These boxes restrict the air flow. A small amount of heat *is* transmitted by radiation. The boxes stop this getting out.

SWMBO wants one on the radiator in our lounge - which is barely large enough at present, because the lounge has been extended. I shall probably need to fit a double (or at least a finned) radiator in place of the existing single unfinned one - but I'm reluctant to cover it with a box. I reckon that modern radiators - with top grills and end plates - look quite acceptable anyway - so why hide them behind a hideous MDF box?!

Reply to
Set Square

Hi, I know what you mean about the big boxes .... I'm trying to protect an oil painting which will be above this radiator as I've been told it'll suffer over time in this position. Is this true or should I write to uk.rec.oilpainting (if there is such a group) :-)

Cheers, Keith

Reply to
KD

I don't know much about oil paintings. If you're worried, just turn the radiator off - it's cheaper than installing a box, and the effect will be more or less the same !

Reply to
Set Square

LOL and then shiver :-) I didn't realise these cabinets had such a dramatic effect. I don't think I'll be getting one of these then. I'll talk to the local arty farty company and ask their opinion on this before turning my living room into the arctic :-)

Thanks for everyones' opinions.

P.S. Do bog standard radiator shelves have such a dramatic effect on radiator efficiency ?

Reply to
KD

Never found placing oil paintings over radiators to be a problem, some of ours have been in place for 20yrs. A quick wash with detergent should be no problem on oil if it gets a bit grubby. Prints do seem to age rather more even when the frame is glazed, so I'd keep these totally away from radiators unless expendable. Radiator shelves force the dust laden hot air away from the wall, but concentrate it rather more at the ends of the radiator shelf, causing dirt streaks quite rapidly on pale colours.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Thanks for the advice. I'm beginning to get the idea that I don't need to be in any big rush to put a shelf or cabinet near this radiator :-) All the information given has been most useful - thanks to all who have helped me manage to delay this job LOL. Thinking about it, the painting going there is actually glazed anyway so I can approach the job over a number of days/weeks/months/years/decades (delete as appropriate).

Thanks once again, Keith

Reply to
KD