Maybe OT: Fixing TV

Hi,

I have noticed that my CRT TV set has started showing horizontal (almost) lines on the screen (about 20) when the scene is fairly dark. I seem to remember having the same trouble with a different set many years ago and the solution was easy (but I can't remember what it was).

Can anyone here tell me how to fix this?

TIA, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Have you tried hitting it?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On an old tv, tweaking the screen pot on the flyback control would usually "fix" it for a while, but on a modern TV with feedback loops etc, I'd be looking to rule out a PSU/HT problem first...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Rough guide to fixing TVs

Symptom: Rolling picture, top to bottom Cure: Slap the top of the set

Sympton: Rolling picture, bottom to top Cure: Kick the bottom of the set

Sympton: Line tearing, towards left or right of set Cure: Slap opposite side

Sympton: Intermittant Buzzing noise Cure: Slap the top of the set

Sympton: Intermittant Loss of Colour Cure: Slap the top of the set

Sympton: Vertical Line Cure: Slap the side of the set

Sympton: Horizontal Line Cure: None... It's dead, Jim....

Sympton: Unacceptable programmes Cure: Stand back - project well aimed brick...

----------

Alternative cures (repair tips) from these sites

post in sci.electronics.repair after checking FAQ at
the model number sometimes works for me ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

The message from Adrian C contains these words:

I've found they're a lot less bother if left switched off.

Reply to
Guy King

  1. look for the video drive and background adjustments, you'll need to tweak 2 or 3 and get the colour adjusted right or it'll be all wonky colourwwise.
  2. If there is a background adjustment for all channels together, sometimes known as 'screen' then adjusting that is much easier.

If you know how to set up the colour balance its easy. If not, well... it might look better left as is. Also is btter left alone if youre not upto speed on the various dangers inside TVs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sounds to me like the tube might be starting to go low emission;(....

Reply to
tony sayer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mark saying something like:

Sure it's not adjacent channel interference? Try retuning the various channels and check and tighten all the coax plugs. If you have a Sky box feeding the TV via the aerial socket, you could retune that to a different output channel.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

that wouldnt cause retrace lines

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It can do. Well we used to see it a lot a few years ago. Still this might not be quite what the original poster described;)

A picture worth, words, 1000, etc.....

Reply to
tony sayer

I dont know what to say other than an understanding of how valves work makes it clear that reduced emission and retrace lines are 2 things with entirely separate causes. Some sets do adjust drive as emission falls, and this could conceivably cause it. Bear in mind also that age tends to go hand in hand with drift of settings and falling emission.

I used to repair tvs and took a keen interest in repairing low emission sets, which were an area that stumped most repair shops. And continue to today. Most fell prey to those rejuvenator things, which are a poor approach to the problem, cause more problems than they solve, and are really just a tax.on ignorant repair technicians.

NT

Reply to
meow2222