Hi-Tuf or flex for outdoor power extension

I've an outdoor socket on the wall in my back garden, which is switched with a 20Amp switch inside. I want to use this for outdoor lights, and to that end, I have an extension-cable-inna- waterproof-box from TLC:

I'll plug that into the outdoor socket and plug the lighting transformers into the trailing socket in the box. Except rather than having the box directly below the socket, I want it at the other end of the garden away, so I need to replace the 1.7m lead with a 15m one I can run round the walled edge of the garden. Should I make up this lead in 1.5mm flex, or 1.5mm Hi-Tuf?

Reply to
Stephen Gower

I would use 3 core SWA. I would wire this into the back of the existing socket, not using a plug. At the far end I would install another waterproof socket into which your waterproof multiway can plug in with its existing cord.

Use 3 core instead of 2 core. Although you should earth the armour as well, it is best not to rely on steel for earthing, but use a proper copper core.

Obviously, you must ensure that the entire circuit is protected by a 30mA RCD.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Would it not depend on how the original waterproof socket was connected though? If it was already a spur from an indoor ring for instance, then adding another spur from that wouldn't be allowed.

Reply to
Richard Conway

That would indeed be a possibility. A 13A FCU might be an appropriate replacement for the 20A DP switch if the existing circuit is a unfused spur from a ring.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So would I if I were looking at a permanent installation, but for a number of reasons I want an installation that I can roll-up at the end of summer. I have looked at Hi-Tuf, but reading past threads, I gather this isn't flexible enough to be used for a temporary arrangement (if a few months can be thought of as temporary) - am I right in this? In this situation, is standard PVC flex suitable, or should I go for an alternative such as rubber flex or something else entirely?

Reply to
Stephen Gower

I'd go for Arctic flex for a temporary lash up.

speaking you should go blue for 230V. though I doubt it matters that much.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ta - blue is fine in this context - certainly better than yellow!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Stephen Gower said the following on 08/06/2006 11:50:

I'd go for heavy duty rubber cable H07RN-F 3G1.5 or 3G2.5

Rumble