TV simulator @ Lidl

Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses

Reply to
Simon Cee

What a good idea!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Nothing to do with drag queens then.

Reply to
Graham.

You're probably thinking of the TV *STIMULATOR*. Totally different device. At a totally different website :)

Reply to
Simon Cee

Erm, what is the point?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

To make people (eg burglars) think that the TV is on, and so think someone is in the house

Reply to
Chris French

Can't see that link -

But if it is the FakeTV it's quite decent. If the curtains are drawn and the device is next to the TV not pointing at the curtains, it looks quite convincing from the outside. Does a nice random display of white, flickering colours and long pauses at certain colours.

It would be better if it had a random on/off timing though - coming on for 4-6 hours solid is a bit dodgy.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Confuses burglars.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My view is it's the sort of thing that appeals to those who don't know burglars, but think they do.

I never watch TV in total darkness. So I'd have to leave those lights on too. I'd also be surprised if it looks anything like the effect you'd get with the usual large screen TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Neither do I, but some of my family does.

I made one of these at school for a school play. It was a real wooden TV with the guts and screen removed, which had a light put inside which flickered randomly. It faced away from the audience towards the actors who were supposedly watching TV. Worked very well. Long before the days of power LEDs (or any LEDs other than red). Lots of TV's were still B&W then, so I didn't need to bother with colours.

I saw the thing in Lidl and it reminded me of the one I made all those years ago, except the Lidl one was probably 10 times the price it cost me! Did wonder how bright it was too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bloody infuriating when you break in to nick the TV, only to find a little flashing LED...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This reminds me of something I did with a real (practical in stage-speak) TV on the studio set of a Granada detective drama called Bullman.

The director wanted to show a horse-race on the screen but it was important that none of jockeys colours etc. were identifiable.

The cameras had too much depth of field to de-focus the set and let the characters remain in focus, so it was my task to defocus the TV picture electronically.

Even with the focus pot at its limit they were not satisfied so I ended up soldering a chain of high value resistors in series with the tip end of the pot to get the desired effect.

This was the mid 1980s

Can you imagine this being done in the current H&S environment?

Me with a hot soldering iron.

Scantly clad actors (I think it may have been a bedroom scene) around a CRT TV with its guts hanging out.

Not to mention trade union demarcation of the time, which should have no doubt precluded a humble TV engineer working on a production.

Reply to
Graham.

I'm not sure you actually need colour. All the houses round here have very small front gardens, so you're often aware a TV is on when walking past at night. But usually just by a coldish 'white' flicker. Can't say I've ever noticed anything else. Unless you can actually see the TV screen, of course. But I am aware that light source is a pretty large one as it produces a soft light over most of the room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably not as you say the source is quite large and diffuse so the colours will mi and, presumably, the average image when averaged over it's entirity is very close to white.

Can't people afford curtains round your way? B-)

Curtains here are draw when it gets dark, in winter two pairs, one set in the reveal close to the window itself and another set to cover the reveal opening. The set close to the window are medium weight lined, the outer set heavy and also lined. Don't half reduce the heat loss even through DG.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Curtains are soooo last year.

But you don't spend 100 grand on your open plan conversion then cover it up at night. The neighbours can't be jealous of what they can't see. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

however, people who live in glass houses

should undress in the dark

Reply to
charles

The open plan bit doesn't usually include the bathrooms and bedrooms. Although when these houses were built it's quite possible some still preferred a tin bath in front of the fire. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

it's easier to get the coal onto the fire if the bath is in front of the fire.

Reply to
charles

Reply to
Gordon Freeman

Don;t be too sure. If you concentrate really hard you might see a BBC transmisison in the flashing...

Reply to
Tim Watts