Flue through an external wall with hung tiles

A friend has been told by a boiler fitter that he can't fit a boiler where the flue will pass through an external wall that has hung tiles on the outside.

Are there kits? How difficult is this?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Presumably because he can't be arsed to do it. There are kits for pitched tiled surfaces - called roofs

The standard flue comes with a rubber surround to go though a vertical wall. The tiles need to come off and the flue fitted into the substrate wall. The tiles can then be cut and refitted with lead soakers around the flue. Yes it takes effort and time and care - you could prep the area and then do that part yourself.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Lot of lazy CH fitters around...

OP: tell your mate to ring some more until he finds one that can be arsed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Just the same as sticking it through the roof only its vertical

Reply to
Kipper at sea

True. When we moved in we wanted the new boiler in our utility room, with a vertical chimney. 4 fitters insisted it couldn't be done, and that the only place suitable was in the main bedroom, venting to the outside horizontally.

Boiler is fitted in the utility, with a vertical chimney ;)

+1 - it's sheer laziness.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Fredxxx wrote in news:mab233$nbe$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

A boiler fitter will not necessarily know anything about tiled constructions. If you are happy to use him then get a proper roofer to finish the work aroud the flue - and to possibly prepare the way - in exchange for a reduction in price from the boiler fitter.

Did he offer a "standard price"? This could be his reason for not wanting to do the job as he expected some problems - but to be fair, it is clearly outside his routine work, so don't pressure him.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

This is to be an ECO fitted boiler, so no choice of plumber.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Which probably explains it, because AIUI they get a standard fee for fitting the boiler, so what to do it as quickly and cheaply as possible

Reply to
Chris French

So strip off some tiles and get the boiler fitted - then get the tiles properly re-fitted.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That was a plan!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've seen this done a couple of roadds away from me, and it seems there is a kind of rectangular piece of cement or render and the tiles are around that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff