Math help :-)

If you've got an Android phone then I recommend this :

Bob Martin

Even easier, as sin15 is pretty much 1/4 (and how accurate is your 15 anyway), X is E/4 higher than Y.

Reply to
Dave W

Sorry, "Z" would be the fabric/hypotenuse.

The 1 to 4 m would be the second longest side of the triangle, the third/shortest side of the triangle would be the height difference.

Reason I was going to do a spreadsheet is so I could have a handy paper chart for site use. No Google involved.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, horizontally.

I haven't explained this clearly enough. My bad.

The awning is bolted to the wall & the front edge when extended, is lower. The canvas is at a 15 degree slope. In some cases the front of the awning has to be at a certain height to miss an obstacle.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks - that seems to work!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As you liked Farmer Giles's solution, I now change my first solution to X = 0.27E above Y, where E now represents the horizontal distance of the front from the wall.

Reply to
Dave W

Glad to help.

I'd be grateful if you could now do me a favour. Please call it 'maths', and not the irritating Americanism 'math'.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I stand corrected :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

When I helped fit the awning at my parents house I let my Dad "borrow" the SDS drill that I bought him for Christmas:-)

Reply to
ARW

This is arithmetic.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Not trigonometry then B-)

Reply to
fred

Well a bit of trig (which is Maths) was involved to work up an equation, but sticking the numbers in and cranking the handle of the calculator is arithmetic.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Trigonometry is maths. The final calculation is arguably arithmetic, but the process that defined the calculation is definitely mathematics.

Reply to
Farmer Giles