Maplin meltdown

Didn't one of the regular contributors here have a need for significant quantities of a particular drill bit (or similar) and kept buying whatever he could when he was in B&Q.

After a few weeks the display was groaning under a pile of stock, all sizes having been replenished to meet what the computer calculated to be the new demand level.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Well I've learned something. Ever since the system was introduced, I've thought that the system knew the weight of every item and checked that the scales increased by that weight after it had been scanned and was placed in the bagging area. I'm sure I'm not along in thinking that. I'd not realised that it was less complicated than that and only looked for *any* increase, not necessarily of the expected size.

As a matter of interest, do you know this for a fact (eg, having worked on the development of the system) or are you presuming it from logic (which I have to say I agree with, now you mention it)?

The biggest problem with the self-scan checkouts is those damn scales. They expect you to put all your bags on the scale at the outset and to place things once and forever in a given bag. I find I move things around as I realise that I'm about to put fresh meat in with cooked meat (a no-no, according to SWMBO, *even if it's pre-packed and sealed*), or about to put something heavy on top of something squashable like bread. The system doesn't like you to temporarily reduce the weight, as you move a completed bag from one side of the scales to the other, or to move an item between bags. And I tend to want to scan several small objects at the same time and then move them all, as a single "item" into a bag - you can't do that, because the systems expects you scan scan one items, bag it, scan the next, bag it - in strict order.

Some have better logic than others for items that need approval (eg alcohol). Some flash the "help needed" light but allow you to carry on scanning and bagging, whereas others stop dead in their tracks and won't allow you to do any more until the assistant has verified that this fifty-odd-year-old man really *is* over 18. Morrisons' logic with this is good, but one of the other supermarkets' tills (I forget which) are really fussy. At Morrisons I tend to scan the alcohol as the very first thing so as to allow as much time as possible for the assistant to arrive before the drop-dead time of not being able to pay until the assistant has verified.

Reply to
NY

Well that's proof that you don't shop as its wrong on both counts.

Reply to
dennis

Just experience from using them. At one time there was the intention of the system knowing the weight of everything but I know of no supermarket that has done so. Just imagine having to weigh and lable every item with variable weight like fruit and veg and remember it can change weight depending on the weather. Then there is frozen stuff that can be covered in frost or not.

Reply to
dennis

The bar code could either contain the exact weight or tell the system it will be within certain limits.

I get the impression you've not used a self service checkout.

Try Tesco - their latest software is giving (even more) problem with the weight of things after scanning.

With the old you had to place your own bag on the scales then press done. The new tries to get round that. Gawd knows why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just coming back on topic, most posters have bemoaned the fact that Maplins was not what it used to be and generally dear. However, with the number of replies to the topic are we secretly sad to see it go?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Just wonder if that's the same place that had full page adverts on the back cover or near the back of Television magazine

If so they might be the ones that used to sell brand new tv circuit boards for about a fiver. It was at one point by far the cheapest way to buy the Mullard SAA5050 character generator chip used in the BBC Micro.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Should I buy one of these in case I need it in future:

(I haven't seen one elsewhere; I don't even know what it would be called.)

Where else can I make a "distress purchase" for a single pot or capacitor &c.?

Where else can I buy cable by the metre?

Where else can I buy LED strips in 10cm increments?

Reply to
Max Demian

TLC for some types.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Along with district nurses with starched caps driving Morris Minors, telegr am boys on bicycles, AA men who saluted, sweet shops where you could buy 4 different items for a tuppny, proper bogs that flush when you pull a chain and have a roller towel on the back of the door.

I wonder when Beamish will get its first reproduction Maplin :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes you could do that but most stuff is in preprinted bags and has the same barcode.

I use them most of the time, none of what I use check the items weight. Most of the items have significantly variable weights. The prepacked fruit and veg can vary by 50+%.

I was in there last week but I self scan so there is no need to use the checkouts.

Maybe you have a different experience because they don't trust the customers much where you are and do try and check every item?

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for confirming you don't use (modern) self checkouts. The one I use tells you what you have just scanned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really. Like many companies as soon as the founders and their vision of how things may be done leave or sell out the company goes downhill.

Reply to
alan_m

Usually a complete waste of time. If a piece of modern equipment is designed to take a C size battery substituting a AA in a plastic holder is likely to give limited performance.

Isn't that the problem you only use them for distress purchases and they are not normally your first choice.

Ebay

Cheaper to buy a 1m strip elsewhere than a 10cm strip from Maplin.

Reply to
alan_m

I use Eneloops with these in a Roberts Radio.

Anyone know where I can buy C size Eneloops ?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think I used it once, and it didnt have what I wanted even then.

It's a bit like M & S. I now buy underpants online.

Anyone have a good online place for quality plain T-shirtts?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But does it tell you the weight? Its the weight you are arguing about not the description!

Reply to
dennis

Lidl have the equivalents in on Sunday IIRC, a bit pricey at £2.99 for two 4500mAhr ones though.

Reply to
dennis

I just came back from shopping, I avoided putting the empty carrier bag on scales, scanned a six-pack of crisps, put it in carrier and put carrier on the scales

"using your own bag Y/N?" popped up on the screen ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

poundland. I put AAs in old clocks designed for Cs, no convertor needed if they're not moved much.

if you're really stuck a repair place might - but often not.

wilkinsons

I've seen LED strip, maybe wilkinsons, even at their inflated price I expect it was cheaper to buy than 4" of Maplin stuff.

I've used Maplin all of once, when we really needed a cable for an event. The price was outrageous, hence random online sellers have had the other >99% of the business.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr