Maplin - mains transformers

Yup, I still have an old 1995 catalogue on the shelf as it was the last one to include full pinouts for all the ICs. Surprisingly difficult information to get these days without hours of web searching and yards of data books.

Reply to
John Rumm

Does anybody remember Towers International Transistor Selector?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I used to be 10 mins walk from it :-) Its just not the same these days[1]!

[1] Not refering to the fact they bought a bigger shop the other side of the road about 100 yards away, but more the fact you were fairly safe in the assumption the staff were not about to ask you "what is a grommet for?" when you ordered one!
Reply to
John Rumm

Yup - still use it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TBH I always thought it referred to "Newmarket" transistors.

But this quite illuminating webpage says it was Texas Instruments in Bedford.

it's apocryphal.

A but expensive for schoolboy hobbyists and didn't appear on the surplus market. :(

I can remember playing with the AF186 in band 3 pre-amplifiers, & it's Si successor the BF180, in 1988 at uni I did a band 3 pre-amp project using the Motorola MC 1550G IC.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Does anybody remember Mullard Modules?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Encapsulated logic modules?

Reply to
Tony Williams

Funny you should say that....

In this most recent house move I dumped a little FM Stereo tuner that was built from a kit in Everyday Electronics (I think),

Consisted of a fancy front panel, 'conti-board' box and three or four Mullard Modules.

Didn't they have desigations like LP11?? - ISTR there was a front-end tuner module, an IF module and a stereo decoder.

Now you're going to tell me that these modules are collectors' items - and fetching a fortune on ebay !

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian writes

I remember something like "Logic modules" fitted to the control circuits on early UHF TV transmitters in the mid Sixties!.

Reply to
tony sayer

I do remember one of the columnnists building a radiogram for his father using Mullard Modules.

Quite possibly.

Strangely, Maplin now have a small collection of similar audio modules, made in Germany I think, although mostly amplifiers. I expect they'll add an MP3 decoder soon.

These modules are collectors' items - and fetching a fortune on ebay !

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think I used one of them - made by 'Kemo'. The local Church wanted a replacement for their old organ - but it had to be single-manual as opposed to the more usual 'two keyboards one above the other' approach. Somebody else in the parish donated an old Yamaha synth, and I ended up 'gutting' an old 2-manual organ, fitting the synth into it an using one of these little amps to drive the existing speaker. Sounded pretty good, though I say it myself...

I thought you were going to say that !

Adrian (got the broadband reconnected today - deep joy !)

Reply to
Adrian