How thigns go wrong

How things go wrong.

I had some food to heat in the microwave, and I used one of the black plastic trays that Nissin or Maruchan teriyaki noodles come in.

I did notice that there was an 80% empty envelope of duck sauce in the tray, like one would get with take-out. But I figured it was sticky and I left it there. I figured if it got hot, it would dry up.

When the food was done, 4 minutes, I took out the tray, and the duck sauce had gotten so hot it melted the tray underneath it, which is the same place I'd picked up the tray! I dropped it all, but the last piece of my finger still hurts 35 minutes later!!

Ran cold water over it.

It hasn't blistered yet, but that can take hours, right?

Reply to
micky

  1. Microwave your food in a glass dish, not a crappy plastic tray.
  2. Duck sauce is sweet. Sugar responds quite well to microwaves.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Or use half power and monitor it.

Reply to
trader_4

+1!
Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Plastic is safe. They even used to make dual oven-able TV dinners in PET trays.

I wonder if the duck sauce was in a metalized packet which may have caused the problem.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Glass won't melt. I'll have to take your word for the TV dinners; the last time I ate one they still were in aluminum trays.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Been a long time ago that I had one but it was in a microwavable PET tray. You cannot put aluminum in the microwave. Crystallized PET has a melting point of 500 degrees Fahrenheit and trays could be used in an oven. PET soda bottles are not fully crystallized and soften at about

160 degrees.

Even a longer time ago we had a project with Campbell Soup making these trays with our resin. They had a plant in CA. I even have a patent on a tray material. Did not amount to anything.

What I most remember about one of my trips to their New Jersey lab was them bringing in cases of soup to open them and punch a hole in the tops of the cans with an ice trip to ruin them before taking to the dump. They had messed up on the recipe leaving out the salt.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Micky could have a regular podcast of the dumb things he does.

Reply to
gfretwell

They are careful of what they put in those dinners and how they are arranged on the tray. You can still get boiling hot spots and stuff that is still frozen in the middle. I don't eat that over processed shit but my wife used to get those things sometime. I would stab the box with a knife to vent the package and cook it in the box with plenty of rest time to let it equalize. Just hitting it 6-8 minutes on high like the box says is certain to get you bad results.

Not likely. Cindy had it right. Those little packs get really hot and the hotter things get the hotter they get. The frozen parts don't catch a lot of microwaves if there is a more receptive target.

Reply to
gfretwell

Cool idea. Micky's Dumb Podcast - wherever you get your podcasts.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That would be 1979 for me, when I was working midnights in an IBM support center. If you ground the tray to the enclosure, you can cook a lasagna in the microwave but I wouldn't do it in MY microwave. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

I know you can't put aluminum in a microwave. The last time I had a TV dinner, only rich people had a Radar Range. We peasants had to make do with an ordinary gas oven, lit with a match.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Sure you can. The books tell how to do it. Like if you want to warm up a turkey leg you put some foil around the narrow part. For some meats that come in shapes about like a quart jar you take some strips about 2 inches wide and put around the edges. Just stop about 2 inches from the bottom of the microwave. Keeps the edges from drying out. I have done that many times.

Some of the microwave pizzas and other things have a platform made out of the box that have a layer of foil on them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

When I lived in Brooklyn, someone gave me a Radar Range model 002. Looked just like the picture. One of the 2 springs that held the door closed had broken. Easy fix.

Used it for years, but then I heard sparking. Woman at Radar Range wouldn't sell or give me the wiring diagram because she was afraid I'd radiate myself. Finally I convinced her I knew what I was doing, and I begged, and I promised to be good, and she she mailed it to me for free. It's nice when employees can use their own discretion. On the phone she had warned me to put the metal gasket at the base of the microwave tube cage, to put it back exactly like it was. As long as you looked at how it was before taking it apart, that was not hard to do. I also bought a Radio Shack microwave detector to make sure there were no leaks elsewhere.

I forget the details but it was hard or expensive to get new diodes so I used GE silicon sealer and put big globs around the diode wires whose insulation had been crumbling. That worked perfectly for several years.

Finally the main transformer failed. They wanted $420 when whole microwave ovens were selling for 125. They had 4 of them in stock in Pa alone. I said, you'll never sell these for 420. Why not sell me one for... maybe I said 100. He told me to write to Amana, in Kansas or wherever they are. So I wrote, a postal letter I think. I said, Save one for the inventor's son and and one for your museum and sell the rest at a areasonable price. They wrote back with someone to call but when I called it was the same answer. I thought the guy who wrote me back had cleared it with the guy whose number he gave me. So I gave up and threw it away, and they still have 4 transformers in their stock room.

Reply to
micky

Good point (although the tray is sold and used for that very purpose in the first place, along with the noodles in it.)

I've learned.

So 8 hours later I had a 2mm. white "pimple", and 20 hours later it was almost 3mm. It doesn't hurt though. So I lucked out. In a week or two** it will heal underneath and the skin on top will open and get rubbed off. **I think some skin wounds like from thorns or when the weedwacker shot things at my shins don't disappear as fast as they used to, so it might be 6 weeks.

Reply to
micky

We wished we had dried cow shit. It was very hard to get the mud to light.

My grandmother used to cook over molten lava, since she lived before the crust of the Earth was solid.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I figured silicon had a higher resistance to electrical current than did things like body putty or those other crack fillers, but I could have been wrong.

I also have no knowledge of how much silicon is in silicon sealant but it seems like a lot.

Reply to
micky

Most people have no idea how to best use a microwave. They just want to push a button and have hot food fast. A little effort to understand it, use of different power settings and waiting time makes a huge difference in results.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

The first thing I microwaved (macaroni & cheese), I followed the instructions and put plastic wrap on it. that was a bad idea. After heating, the macaroni & cheese became largely indistinguishable from the melted plastic wrap, and the combination didn't taste any good.

BTW, That mac & cheese was Kroger's "Cost Cutter" brand, which was better than national brands. Just not mixed with plastic wrap.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You just get lightning. I remember around 1962 or 63 we got vending machines instead of a cafeteria at my school and they had the first microwave I ever saw. We put all sorts of stuff in there to see what would happen. A big piece of foil would arc and spark. A coin wouldn't do anything.

Reply to
gfretwell