OT. Open Camera, Scan Code, Donate Now

St. Jude Hospital was asking for donations on tv. It had one of those square code gadgets on the screen. It's called a QR code. It's a Japanese invention.

They'll have something to brag about if they can explain redheads.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

QR codes are all over thee days. If you scan them they can take you to a web page, instruction manual, pay the bill at the supermarket.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yep - yesterday's big TV cancer fundraser was using it - I wonder about the info security issue - - if - as soon as you use it - they have your personal info to sell .. ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

NO]o. it is just the same as the bar code,a one way thing. Once you scan it you have to go to another app or web page to communicate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, it just converts the funny image to a url (How does it do that? I don't know but I'm sure it happens entirely in your phone without involving anything else) and then your phone will put the url in a web browser and go there. So it's the same as entering a url in a web browswer.

I would expect something like this to be included in the phone, but the cheap samsung I bought 2 years ago didn't have it, and i found an app that would read both QR codes and barcodes. I've never gotten around to doing a barcode and I've only done QR maybe twice.

I haven't read these yet, but the titles sound good.

micky

I have started using them here. The one at the front entrance sign takes you to our web page and I have 2 at the boat ramp. One takes you to the ramp rules and the other takes you to the list of authorized key holders. The last one might help the honest people return a forgotten key.

Reply to
gfretwell

Only the information you offer up when you get to that web page. QR codes are just web links.

Reply to
gfretwell

Around 2004-2005, where I worked everyone added a QR code to their outgoing email signature block. You can add pretty much whatever you want to a QR code, including text, URLs, images, vcards, you name it.

Here's one of many sites that lets you create your own (free) QR codes.

After creating the code, just point your smartphone camera at it to see what it says. No need to actually snap a picture.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

There's a QR code at the entrance to my workplace. If you scan it, it takes you to a page on our website where we all check in daily to affirm we don't have COVID symptoms and haven't been close to anybody with COVID.

It was created by a very nice young lady in another department within the engineering division.

You don't have to scan it at the door; it's provided as a convenience. I have the page bookmarked, so when I get settled at my desk I bring up the page and check in.

I think the only QR code I've ever used is the one that signed me up for the CDC vaccine tracking thing.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

QR codes can contain many other types of information, not just web links.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Jim's posts cast much doubt on this sentence of mine. But I have no time to read more about it today.

and then your phone will put the url in a web

Reply to
micky

It is just a data field but most end up being URLs.

Reply to
gfretwell

Is there any relationship between them and the chip on a credit card?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

no. The QR codes are just barcodes (e.g. UPC) that hold more information.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I was using bar codes for the parts inventory system I wrote and since I had a bar code reader on the PC on my desk for testing, I used them for all sorts of stuff I might have to type a lot, like passwords or text strings I used a lot.

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't know the percentage that end up being web links, and I suspect that you don't either, but I do know that it would be incorrect to say that "QR codes are just web links."

I think that covers it.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I suppose you have examples of QRs in general use that aren't URLs.

Reply to
gfretwell

You can look it up, you know.

"QR code (abbreviated from Quick Response code) is a type of matrix barcode (or two-dimensional barcode[1]) invented in 1994 by the Japanese automotive company Denso Wave.[2] A barcode is a machine-readable optical label that contains information about the item to which it is attached. In practice, QR codes often contain data for a locator, identifier, or tracker that points to a website or application. A QR code uses four standardized encoding modes (numeric, alphanumeric, byte/binary, and kanji) to store data efficiently; extensions may also be used.[3]

Scott Lurndal

Yes, used one this morning at Quest Labs. When you make an appointment you print out the confirmation with a QR code. When you arrive, you just scan it to check in.

I also use the Publix app to pay at the checkout. You scan the code on the screen and it takes the money from my debit card. Also gives me an e-receipt. No touching anything.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I suppose.

Reply to