How thigns go wrong

There is a piece of foil in the bottom of the microwave popcorn bag and the metal ring stays when you rip the top off of a microwaveable cup of Mac n cheese. It is far from an absolute prohibition. You just need enough mass to absorb most of the energy. OTOH guys who work on them say popcorn may be the hardest thing people do to their microwave. I knew a guy who said that was all he did with his microwave.

Reply to
gfretwell

I bought this one for about $170 in 1972. I am still using it.

gfretwell

Can you please call it silicone rather than silicon? Thanks.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I worked for a company that made industrial dielectric heaters for thermoset plastic molding before microwaves hit the mass market. It didn't take long for the people in the shop to figure out if it could heat a phenolic preform it could heat lunch.

Basically it was a Hartley oscillator running at around 100 MHz, with the material placed between the capacitor plates. Introducing a TV dinner in an aluminum tray to the RF cavity of a 15 MW oscillator tended to be a one time occurrence.

Reply to
rbowman

I still use the oven more than the microwave, though I tend to light it with a stick of incense.

Reply to
rbowman

The nice lady obviously didn't know who she was dealing with. After all this thread started because you still don't know how to used a microwave let alone repair one.

Reply to
rbowman

Road trip! Show your skilz. Take the ferry and it will be as much fun as a Carnival cruise ship without the covid.

Reply to
rbowman

You're welcome.

I'll try, but I can imagine forgetting in a few days which one you said to use. Seriously. :-(

Reply to
micky

I'll bet it didn't.

I don't know if this could help, but unlike most products, tin foil, waxed paper, toilet paper, typewriter paper, etc. etc. where different brands are pretty much the same, the 3 major brands of plastic wrap are quite different.

Saran Wrap clings to itself. One of them stretches and clings to the sides of containers if pulled tight first, but not to itself. The third one does something else again. I forget what.

Reply to
micky

You are probably correct. CBS Sunday morning had a segment on the new volcano in Iceland. People were cooking hot dogs on the hot lava.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've cooked over molten lava on Mt Tiede in the Canary Islands.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mount Fagradalsfjall In a video going viral, scientists studying the volcanic eruptions at Mount Fagradalsfjall wanted to do an experiment involving hotdogs. Yes, a group of scientists who were at the foot of the mountain decided to grill some sausages on the molten lave accumulated, probably to prove how high the temperature is

micky

I think $170 might have been 2x or 3x my mother's mortgage payment in 1972. (At the time I was 15 years old, so I wasn't keeping track.) I doubt she'd drop that much money on a microwave.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I've cooked hard boiled eggs both in Hakone Park in Japan and in a thermal pool adjacent to a geyser in Iceland. Works well but in both cases, the eggs had a faint but quite unpleasant taste from the hydrogen sulfide dissolved in the water.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

They were expensive then. I only had one around 1979 because someone gave me a broken one.

Reply to
micky

That was about what my mortgage payment was. I had a car payment about the same size but I paid it off in 1973 and never financed a car after that.

Reply to
gfretwell

In the late 80s we had a bunch of broken ones dropped off at our shop. They all had a bad clock/controller card and the card cost as much as a new one. I took the pick of the litter, a huge turkey size Amana, drilled a hole through the middle of the control panel and put a spring wound timer in there. I jumpered out everything but the interlocks (they all worked) and hooked the hot lead to the timer. It was still there when I retired.

Reply to
gfretwell

Cooking breakfast in the thermal features at Yellowstone is frowned upon.

rbowman

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:58:45 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us to digest...

So the saying is true: She's older than dirt! ;-)

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:13:13 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Knowing the amount of salt Campbell puts in their soup the could have launched a new product line by putting stickers on them or donating them to the homeless shelters in Camden. I knew several farmers that raised produce to sell to Campbell's.

A company I was involved with used to make smokeless incinerators. They had one on a trailer for on site demonstrations. They went to the Hanover Shoe Co in PA for a demo. The 'guy' the co. sent went to the loading dock and saw all these boxes stacked up and told the demo crew to load them into the unit. After successful flameout the shoe co. rep comes out ready for the demo and asks where all the boxes were? The boxes were a special order waiting for pickup... Glad I wasn't involved.

Reply to
Tekkie©