Manhattan SX Freesat Box

Dies anyone have experience of Manhattan SX Freesat boxes? I've been asked to help a friend reconfigure hers after switching ISP provider. She was under the impression that after setting up a WiFi connection to the router she would be able to get TV on demand but is seriously lacking in technical clue and doesn't even know if she was able to do that previously.

After quite a struggle I was able to establish a WiFi connection after having to reconfigure the router to use WPA2 security instead of WPA3 but i can see no way of being able to make any use of the WiFi because there's no mention of TV on demand or internet anywhere in the user guide or the on screen menus.

As far as I can see the only way this box might make any use of it's WiFi is for firmware upgrades. Am I correct or have I missed anything? I suspect if she really wants TV on demand her best option would be to go for an Amazon Firestick linked to her Alexa. Being seriously partially sighted she'd probably benefit from being able to ask Alexa to change chanels etc for her.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

If it's this one

yes, it's update-only, no online streaming.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

On my Freesat-4k-Recordable the streaming services are under the "On Demand" menu. Includes Netflix, Prime Video, iPlayer etc. etc.

No guarantee that will help with the Manhatten though!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

The firestick is stand alone. It does not need an alexa, though it has an app, I think. There are several models depending on how high def the display is it seems. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No but the firestick does have AD and talking menues if you turn them on.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks everyone.

It looks like the Firestick is the way to go, especially with the option of talking menus and it appears that it's also possible to control it from Alexa.

Reply to
Mike Clarke