Makro Clamps

Hi
Makro have a set of four clamps on offer at the moment for 4:99 +VAT.
Having bought a set today - don't touch them with a barge pole - tried them out and the triggers snapped on 3 out of 4 without putting anything more than a firm handshake pressure on.
Mine are going back.
Dave
david lang wrote:

They also have a slightly more useful set of spring clamps (rather like large crock clips) at the same price. There are about 12 in the set (three sizes) plus three tatty g gramps. Nothing special, but good enough for holding trim etc. while glue dries.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:56:47 GMT, "david lang"

You don't say what type these are Dave, but if it's a trigger type that you are looking for, both the Quick Grip and Wolf ones are fairly reasonable.
Quick Grip are quite readily available - I've seen them in B&Q and Axminster carry them. Wolf ones periodically show up in teh DIY sheds often on offer, and they are also quite reasonable and generally cheaper.
None of these types are as good as the substantial clamps like Bessey K series,(don't have the price tag either) but for light to medium work, they are OK.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Hi Andy - they are the trigger type you can use as a spreader. They look like Quick Grip or Wolf, but are just crap quality.
Shame really. I work on the theory that you never have enough clamps and they seemed like a real bargain.
I'm a great fan of Axminsters 'F' clamps myself.
Dave
david lang wrote:

CPC do decent F clamps fairly cheaply also...
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

CPC? Who dat?
Dave

http://www.guessthisbit.co.uk /
Ian Stirling wrote:

;-)
2.06 + VAT each for the 12" ones:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=ME18451&NA1
and a bargain 98p for the 6" ones:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=ME18449&NA1
--
Cheers,

John.

Ian Stirling wrote:

Thanks Ian - are you sure it isn't www.sarcasticgit.com ??
Dave
lang" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

Shouldn't that be www.sarcasticgit.co.uk ?
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:55:51 GMT, "david lang"

I know what you mean - I always seem to need more. I might have believed 5 each as being reasonable, but for a set....

I saw some at their exhibition last year but didn't need any more of that type at the time. They seem to be similar in design to the Bessey K type and I think I might get some next time I need more of this type. The Bessey ones are good in terms of the jaws being parallel as tightened and you can get a lot of pressure. Periodically there are good deals, but they are expensive for a clamp. I looked at buying some in the U.S. where they are cheaper, but they are so heavy that it's not worth the shipping cost.
Another one that I quite like for lighter work is the Bessey Kliklamp. These are in between on price but are very easy to use one handed when you are trying to hold something in place.

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Agreed, I should have known better really.....

That's why I was tempted by the Makro ones, never enough clamps, never enough hands to operate them.
I did get some great & cheap one handed clamps (the cartridge gun type) from Trago Mills in Falmouth whilst on holiday last year.
Dave