Making outdoor steps

:( CCA I think it was called. Back to creosote then.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

OK here's the timber for the steps, or should I call it a ladder. It's Pinus Radiata treated against rot in the ground.

weights 200 kg. I don't suppose I'll be moving this ladder around much! It cost 80 GBP. Not bad for a 7.2 metre ladder with a handrail.

Here's the cliff with a 4 metre aluminium ladder on it. The wooden ladder will need to go past that tree trunk at the top, to 7.2 metres. The angle is 55 degrees in its new location, which is a bit shorter than before.

's a closeup of the cliff face. It's basically fractured sandstone. The larger pieces are up to 200mm across.
's impossible to dig holes into, or to drive in metal stakes. The rocks will just fall out.

I'm basically making three wooden ladders, each 2.4 metres long and 66 kg. I'll join them togther. My current thinking is to peg them together at the ends with four 300mm pieces of steel reinforcing rod, then bolt a steel plate on each side. Then I can take the ladder apart in future if I change my mind, which is likely!

Reply to
Matty F