making hole in carpet

I have a new marine carpet ... this has waterproof rubber impregnated backing, all edges are bound ... However they forgot to add a hole though carpet at one point to access hatch opening catch. Normally a 75-100 hole is in the carpet to allow latch operation (lift & turn type).

I can easily make the hole, but how can I neatly 'bind the edges of the the hole ?

Suggestions ? I certainly don't have skills to hand sew it.

My only thought so far is to glue on a binding tape with Stormeal

Used this stuff on covers, and even on diving dry-suits ... certainly sticky & waterproof, but may not be easy to do this and keep it neat.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

They "forgot" take it back and tell them to supply what you ordered.

If you bugger about with it out goes any warranty.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It came as a 'custom' set for boat, it all fits a treat .... just the hole missing.

You can see there is a centre 'hatch' the hole to allow access to catch is missing.

Unfortunately dealer says that is all he has .. and no other in stock ... can't justify cost to send carpet back to US for this. (large & heavy)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It should still be the dealer's responsibility to get it modified to fit the description - not yours! Make him find someone to cut the hole and bind it properly.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The cost of return shipping and then back are debateable, what do the T&C's say?

You could possibly find a company over here to quote for the work then get payment from the seller in the states before proceeding. TBH looking at the image anything you do is going to look crap without the proper edge binding.

The cynic in me says the seller knew perfectly well this was a "faulty" set and sent it overseas reasonably confident that the hassle/cost of return would be too great.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Would the Sale Of Goods act not apply to the UK supplier, as in the goods are "Unfit for purpose" or "Not as described", so making it the supplier's responsibility to sort it out free of charge?

Or a professional carpet fitter should be able to cut and bind the edges to the same standard as the maker, at a cost.

Reply to
John Williamson

without seeing what sort of catch is under there ... rather than cutting the carpet to access the existing catch, couldn't you screw a "nautical looking" brass handle that folds down through the carpet onto the hatch?

Reply to
Andy Burns

He should reimburse or pay for someone else to do the adjustment, I would make him an offer to reimburse or pay for someone to do it, if supplier wants then he picks the company. I would also try and get an invoice for the work so that you get paid before its done.

Reply to
ss

I did ... the answer was it is as you bought it ....

as dealer is not in UK ... not much I can do.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I think that "catch" is typo for "hatch". Under the cut out flap part of the carpet is a reasonably large hatch which opens upwards through the flap area. It looks as if that flap needs to be opened to access the engine bay for daily checks.

Reply to
John Williamson

Where does it say that the seller is in the UK?

Is ambigious. If it is a UK seller reject the goods, get full refund inc all carriage costs and buy elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sorry, I hadn't appreciated that you bought it direct from USA - I assumed that you had bought it via a UK-based intermediary.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Its a 'sunk' in stainless catch, that you lift to upright, then turn through 90 degree to allow hatch to open.

There is no option to send it back, somehow I have to find a fix ... I'll try a couple of carpet places .... some advertise 'binding' of offcuts to make a rug, but I'm guessing this requires machine running around edge (or in fact machine stays put and you move carpet.)

Which may make it difficult to work 'inside' a hole.

I could cut in from edge into hole, so binding could follow line of existing binding. something like:

Rick Hughes

Could you use a plastic inspection port to trim the hole? Need to make a sandwich with something on the back of the carpet, but if the backing is thick and compressible enough it should work. Can you get stainless pop rivets?

Reply to
Lee

Carpet appears to be held down by two studs in that area. Could you not live with lifting the carpet to gain access to the handle ?

Reply to
fred

Dave ... return or getting money back is not an option .... I have used the goods, and made a load of holes in them (press stud fittings had to be fitted) and therefore cannot return goods.

So have to find a DIY (or bought) solution.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

No its not a typo ... I see confusion .... under carpet is a floor locker hinged at rear, it is used for water skis, knee-boards etc.

At the front (under carpet) is a catch, it is a round unit recessed into the locker lid, the catch can lift up to vertical (looks like a large letter 'D') then it turns thru 90 deg and allows the locker lid to open.

Here is a pic of a previous boat ...and the way they provide access to the catch:

Rick Hughes

That is what we have been doing so far, but can see that constant pulling on studs is loosening them and will ultimately pull them through the carpet.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Perhaps you could substitute a different type of fastener that would take a bit of abuse and reinforce the backing on the carpet.

Reply to
fred

I googled 'stainless steel rectangular grommet'.

The idea is you cut the carpet to suit the grommet and then use the stainless steel grommet to cover the less than perfect cut edge.

There were loads of hits - perhaps you want something like this?

You just want to choose a grommet about the right size for the catch.

It would be even better if you could screw it down with stainless screws

- perhaps make a small feature of it. This sort of look:

(I'm not suggesting that - it's a fuel cap surround for an MGF - but you can see the look I had in mind.)

Reply to
GB