Making curtains.

Oddly I was referring to that in the context of a DIY group. I've no doubt the likes of you have forgotten it is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Wasted sarcasm Dave:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Many Repair Cafes have one or two seamstresses (and male equivalents for which there is no recognised name), and they are quite often called upon to teach people how to sew who have just become owners of a sewing machine and want to know how to use it correctly.

Pop along to your local Repair Cafe if it has a seamstress.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've done both. They demand roughly equal amounts of time and patience.

The best way to make curtains involves a fair bit of hand sewing. Ideally you have a large floor on which to sew the hems etc. I found gathering up the head tape, and sewing some of the parts with many layers, the hardest bit. I think it would be easy to do a quick job and end up with something that is 'OK', but doesn't really hang well.

Typical, from you. What's that femisim quote you sometimes have in your .sig?

J^n

Reply to
jkn

My local repair cafe insists it has repair events but doesn't. It also never seems to be open. Hardly a way to get people involved. I wonder if it might be just a way to milk whatever benefits of sic company status might exist (I've forgotten what benefits sics do or don't have).

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Marriage ruined my opinion of women

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seems to be a Brexiteer trait. Grouping all under one banner.

Apart from UKIP being a bunch of racist cnuts, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used a stapler before now to avoid lots of temporary tacking.

Most do seem to leave the hem until final fitting to get a nice even fit to the floor or whatever. But again stapling or tape can be used - or other modern day methods.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that's like saying sheet polythene can be used. Technically it can, but...

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not wasted. Just wondering what took the idiot so long to join the thread. His only intent was to have a dig at TNP a whole four days after the original post. See Tim, Dave's sarcasm is self targeted.

Reply to
Richard

I was trying to support the concept of this being a d-i-y group.

The political topics that most threads seem to morph into can be interesting but also tediously repetitive.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's rich coming from you.

But then you're wrong about that as with so much else. I replied to Turnip's first post some 2 hours later.

Your grovelling apology for telling lies will be treated accordingly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)