Making 30mm hole in wall

Pretty basic question.

I need to make 2 holes each about 30mm diameter in a cavity wall. Usual brick external and block internal with blown fibre insulation.

What is the best way to go about this?

This is a one off that I don't expect to do regularly so I don't want to spend a fortune.

I have a Makita drill with a 13mm chuck rated to 20mm of concrete. Bricks are red 1960s and not overly hard.

Thanks for any advice.

(This is one thing I can't see a way to do with my angle grinder unless I want to do a great deal of filling)

Reply to
Invisible Man

I assume they are for pipes or cables? Considering you are removing 60mm of brick, it would probably be best to remove half a brick, put in your pipes and then point around with mortar.

Reply to
Phil L

A load of cables. Holes will be about 6m apart. No other practical way to run them.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Invisible Man wibbled on Sunday 10 January 2010 14:25

Can you borrow an SDS Plus - loads of TCT core drills and 30mm is easy The best way is to put a 12" pilot drill right though the wall to act as the guide, then approach from both sides with the TCT dill (its pilot will follow your pilot hole well enough), first on no hammer to give a clean entry past the plaster or render or brick face. Then switch to hammer and it will take a few minutes per leaf tops.

If you are limited to a normal drill, I think I would stitch drill it with an 8mm bit and then work it out with a hammer and chisel.

Reply to
Tim W

You can buy masonary drills that are larger than 13mm that have a reduced end that fits in a 13mm chuck. Just take care that the drill does not slow down to much when going through the brick.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Blue Spot 38mm x 150mm diamond core bit - =A313.17 with free delivery a Blue Spot Arbor for your drill (hex re 13mm chuck, SDS for SDS obviously).

Make sure you use the pilot drill and ideally drill from outside (because it makes a talc-like dust). Do not use hammer action, just plain non-hammer drill and it will go through in a few minutes. Done. Sell it on Ebay for =A35-8.

Using 38mm allows you to line the hole with 1-1/2" plastic pipe to protect cables & CWI. If you have loose polybead this bit gets fun... you think the snow is all over... it is now :-)

Reply to
js.b1

You might find it easier to nip around to your local hire shop & rent a diamond core drill bit & a drill to run it. Not that expensive for a short hire.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

HIRE a core drill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you have loose beads inject some PU fill-foam to lock it all together through a smaller pilot hole. Leave to cure before you drill

30mm.
Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

Shotgun.

Reply to
Adrian C

A Scottish son in law has got a couple of guns. Snag would be that the ducks on the village pond and the deer in the area might suddenly disappear!

Reply to
Invisible Man

Many thanks for this. Ordered both from Amazon. Core drill is on its way but they cancelled the arbor cos they hadnt got one in stock after all. Have now sourced one elsewhere I hope pending delivery.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Thanks again. Drilled one hole out today - no problems.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Drill one hole right trough .. to get the centre line. Draw a circle the size of the hole you want .. and drill a series of hole around the circumference ... a 8mm or so bit, then do same other side , and simply use a chisel to join up the holes - easy cheap, nothing to buy.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Takes a lot longer, needs more skill, and doesn't give as neat a job. None of which may matter, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK .. hire an SDS drill 110V transformer & core drill .... neat hole quick .... but costs a sh** load more

Reply to
Rick Hughes