Make grilled watermelon

While this may come as a surprise to some foodies, grilling watermelon enhances its unique flavors and texture. This is because heat caramelizes the fruit's sugars, bringing out its sweetness. Searing watermelon also imbues it with smoky and earthy tones, as highlighted by the appealing grill marks on the flash. In addition, grilling watermelon makes it firmer and chewier without compromising the fruit's trademark juiciness. Some foodies have even gone as far as comparing the consistency to that of meat.

To make grilled watermelon, slice it into half-inch wedges, leaving the rind intact. Next, line the pieces of fruit on a sizzling griddle or grill and sear for between two and three minutes or until you see grill marks. To add zest to the final dish, drizzle it with a sauce made from ingredients such as lime zest, honey, and red pepper flakes. Grilled watermelon can be enjoyed on its own, as a refreshing appetizer or side dish, or as an unexpected addition to salads and desserts.

Judith Latham

Thanks! I will try that the next time I get some watermelon. There were some other good tips in that article too.

Reply to
badgolferman