foaming watermelon

I bought a new, spherical watermelon at the supermarket, left it in my trunk (but it was a rainy, no sun day, and 20 hours later it had foam coming out of one end, one or two golf-ball size blobs of foam, and the moving pad on which it was sitting had a wet spot 1 foot square. 30 hours later it had a big crack in the side. I tasted the foam and it didn't have much taste; haven't had nerve enough to taste the melon.
What's going on?
Normally I throw garbage in the garbage like anyone else, but for some reason, maybe because it's so big and is mostly water, I don't want to do that this time. I want to throw it in the stream bed or in the stream, right next to my house where no one goes but me**? Will any animals want to eat foaming watermelon? What will happen if do this? What bad things will happen if I do this?
**Even though my neibhbors are entited to go down there and on to the tiny island, none of them do. Every few months a teenager will walk down there for a little while.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 23:21:49 -0400, micky

I looked at the subject line and thought to google it. I'm not the only one with fruit like this. It's a big topic of discussion and Carnegie Melon University.
But I still haven't decided whether to taste it, tomorrow, or more imporantly, to throw it in the stream bed, or stream, or not.
I guess I want to watch what happens to it.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 00:27:57 -0400, micky wrote:

Pun intended?
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:14:47 -0000 (UTC), Sam Hill

Yes, but tbh not mine. Someone on the web discussing foaming watermelons used it.
On 9/11/2018 11:21 PM, micky wrote:

It's caused by a hormone they inject to make the melon grow faster.  I'm sure norman will be along soon and tell us it is totally safe to eat.