watermelon size

Hi,

We finally got the watermelon to begin growing--it started a week ago and now, how long to I wait? I ahve read the post about seeing how ready they are--but size? Does the outside become mottled?

Theresa

Reply to
downsized diva

There is a simple and sure way to tell when a watermelon is ready to eat (ripe). Where the melon joins the vine, there will be a leaf and what is called a "Curl". No doubt, you have noticed some of these curls up and down the vine- -but the only one you are interested in is the one where the melon joins the vine. When it is totally brown(dead), the melon is ready to harvest. If for any reason, like thumping the melon, or any other method, you harvest the melon before this occurs- -you waste your melon.

I raise melons every year, and have for many years. This year I raised in excess of 200. To see a picture of some I raised go to check the last photo on the page.

Size has nothing to do with it.

Have a good day Rogerx

Reply to
Rogerx

Roger

Great crop; The melons in front look like a Black Diamond or Stone Mountain type. Really need pictures and testimonials for these types in the Plants Data Base

FarmerDill

Hi Roger.

I have checked my melons in years past, and when that tendril and associated leaf were completely dry, the melon was still not ready. I blame that on the fact that I had started the seeds inside and then transplanted them outside. I have no proof, but I don't think the tap root was allowed to do what it was supposed to, because the plant was kept in the planter too long, and the lack of moisture caused the tendril and leaf to turn brown prematurely. I have seen melons started from seed planted in the hills, that responded like they were expected to. What is your opinion?

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

If the associated leaf(the leaf where the melon joins the vine) is brown--no doubt, you have a vine problem and you would expect the curl(tendril) to be brown, regardless to the condition of the melon.

Possible causes could be nematodes , vine bores, grub worms(anything that could damage the tap root (where the plant waters), or simply a lack of water, or too much fertilizer.

In short, if the vine is healthy(the associated leaf green) and the curl is brown the melon is ripe.(this has been true since my earliest recollections of planting melons back in the late '30s).

Eat a melon and have a nice day! Rogerx

Reply to
Rogerx